Files access & Files transfert become very slow

NAS
1813+ & 1817
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello everyone,

I have a new DS1817 with 8 x 4ToHD in SHR. before i used a 1813+ with the same configuration and i have never met this kind of problem.

My new one have an IP adress fixed manually. I still use the same physical network (1000).
At the beginning, i used a bond network configuration of my 4 network sockets but i stopped it for test.
Now i m using just 1 network, no dhcp, i stopped indexing process, i have checked my storage, i have verified the smart for all my drive.
My firmware is 6.2.2.24922 update 4, last one at this time.
My client is windows 10.

AND the problem is, after 30-45mn of copying, reading files, all my share folders are becoming very very very slow.

Has anyone had this problem before and could help me ?

@theclet welcome here
seems to be your problem is related to LAN. For the better scenario understanding I need more info from you.

Q:
1. Is the new NAS only one appliance changed in your NAS (router, switch, patch wires, client side computer/disk, ...)? Y/N, when no, pls describe. Check pls your patch wires Cat.
2. What exact HDD brand, type, size (TB) do you have in the new one and old one?
3. What exact RAID type do you have in the old/new (SHR-1, ...)?
4. What exact Filesystem do you have in all the volume groups?
5. What exact wires Cat do you have between rooting lines? Same place, then length?
6. Read this Resource about disk speed measurement and send here your values, include methods used for the measurement.
7. Are you able to make a test of W/R perfORmance from same client to the new/old NAS with same specific bunch of data? Pls. use two samples:
a) single and large > 4GB
b) bunch of files of different types and sizes (photos, doc, ...). Again about 4GB.

Pls describe all the data into table new/old columns + some notes. It will help me.

Thank you for your feedback, please find my answers :

1. Is the new NAS only one appliance changed in your NAS (router, switch, patch wires, client side computer/disk, ...)? Y/N, when no, pls describe. Check pls your patch wires Cat.
A : i didn't change anything, i used the same configuration.

2. What exact HDD brand, type, size (TB) do you have in the new one and old one?
HGST HDS724040ALE640 : 4To (all)

3. What exact RAID type do you have in the old/new (SHR-1, ...)?
SHR

4. What exact Filesystem do you have in all the volume groups?
ext4, only one volume of 24.34To

5. What exact wires Cat do you have between rooting lines? Same place, then length?
A :Wires Cat 7, i didn't change anything in my physical network, for info, my old Syno still works in this network (for backup and i used "Synology drive" to synchronise data between)

6. Read this Resource about disk speed measurement and send here your values, include methods used for the measurement.

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 3716 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1860.20 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 408 MB in 3.00 seconds = 135.82 MB/sec
/dev/sdb:
Timing cached reads: 3400 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1701.74 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 402 MB in 3.07 seconds = 130.75 MB/sec
/dev/sdc:
Timing cached reads: 3710 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1857.90 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 340 MB in 3.01 seconds = 112.86 MB/sec
/dev/sdd:
Timing cached reads: 3644 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1824.21 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 368 MB in 3.04 seconds = 121.01 MB/sec
/dev/sde:
Timing cached reads: 3854 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1929.62 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 464 MB in 3.01 seconds = 154.16 MB/sec
/dev/sdf:
Timing cached reads: 3662 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1833.15 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 470 MB in 3.03 seconds = 155.26 MB/sec
/dev/sdg:
Timing cached reads: 3580 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1792.06 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 412 MB in 3.13 seconds = 131.81 MB/sec
/dev/sdh:
Timing cached reads: 3786 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1895.77 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 454 MB in 3.00 seconds = 151.11 MB/sec

Method 1
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
402653184 bytes (403 MB) copied, 0.182931 s, 2.2 GB/s

7. Are you able to make a test of W/R perfORmance from same client to the new/old NAS with same specific bunch of data? Pls. use two samples:
A : old one, the copy is arround 100Mo/s
new one same BUT after 30mn of usage, the speed decreases arround 15Mo/s

a) single and large > 4GB
idem

b) bunch of files of different types and sizes (photos, doc, ...). Again about 4GB.
idem

From my understading, i really don t think it s a network problem, it probably comes from the configuration or process in the synology !

to be sure:
2. do you have same disk with same SHR configuration in both NASes? My request was about table with old and new values (for each point).
6. Your timing buffered disk reads is normal for avg. 131-160MB/s (single partitioned disk) from such disk (benchmarks sources).
So send me pls requested data in the requested form.

Re: degragation of the sped during long transfer process:
- follow benchmark test, there is possible more than 60% degradation of transfer speed (based on data sample)

Last question set:
- do you have enabled SMB1 in your W10?
- check your SMB setup in new and old NAS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.