Firefly III in Docker

Currently reading
Firefly III in Docker

still in operation & under support

I was just about to set up Firefly in Docker... but I'm hesitant due to too many constraints, any of which would leave my data somewhat stranded. Here's my thinking.

• Developer dependent... this is a "smallish" project and should the developer tire of his hobby, or be pulled away due to life's circumstances, I'd be facing a dead end street.
• NAS dependent... As long as I have a compatible server running without disruption, things are fine. Should my NAS fail, I'm dead in the water without a parallel system to run from. With no Windows/Linux system, harboring my financial data on a self-hosted server alone is unattractive to me.

The second point concerns me the most. I'm just not that confident in Synology to continue down this road. Docker is barely supported, and in my case, a DS418play, I'm a bit of a renegade running Docker... and halfway expect that Synology will update DSM in a manner that blocks Docker usage entirely from my unit.

While MoneyManagerEX seems dead in the water (bullet point one, above) I have 2 PCs capable of managing my data, and in the worst case, compatibility with LibreOffice (or other) spreadsheet programs... so I will continue to muddle through with that program.

I migrated away from Synology Notes due to its dependence on Synology software and hardware, and after thinking things through, I think I'll backburner Firefly for the time being.

Actually, I'm not using Firefly, just because I share a Personal Finance Manager with my wife and our current YNAB is way easier to use and convenient.

Developer dependent... this is a "smallish" project and should the developer tire of his hobby, or be pulled away due to life's circumstances, I'd be facing a dead end street.
True.

NAS dependent... As long as I have a compatible server running without disruption, things are fine. Should my NAS fail, I'm dead in the water without a parallel system to run from. With no Windows/Linux system, harboring my financial data on a self-hosted server alone is unattractive to me.
Hm, understand. I'm using a password manager (BitWarden) on my NAS only too. Well, I have C2 Backup for emergency backup because of that. Hope it's ok.

Docker is barely supported, and in my case, a DS418play, I'm a bit of a renegade running Docker... and halfway expect that Synology will update DSM in a manner that blocks Docker usage entirely from my unit.
Omg, if that happens I'm in deep 💩 . Iown DS418play too and I run Docker on it...

I migrated away from Synology Notes due to its dependence on Synology software and hardware
What do you use instead?

What do you use instead?
I've posted here before... I settled in QOwnNotes. It has its limitations, but for me, less so than Notes Station. Notes are kept in Markdown and support inline graphics and file attachments. This is basically a one-man project, but Markdown is a transferable format... so I'm good with that.

I run it locally (PC) syncing other PCs via the NAS.

Waving privacy concerns, there is nothing better than Evernote IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.