Firewall rule question

Currently reading
Firewall rule question

Last edited:
Since new ISP I am having trouble determining the IP OF MY Router, vs IP I use surfing the web.
My router and some programs indicate a 100.x.x.x IP, yet places like GRC.com that I know and trust indicates my IP is 24.x.x.x

Furthermore a Whois exam of either IP the 100 or 24 IP indicates my location is in Ocala, Florida, not where I live in North Carolina.

Some, but not all firewall rules with changed IP’s now don’t now block, or log hits on accept or reject is what started me on this.

I’m thinking my ISP IP is reflecting one IP to me, and another to others, as noted by the grc.com results. The IP the router sees as ‘it’s’. does not reply to any firewall rule at all
??

Update on this.... Kinda strange.... The IP seen as my Internet connection IP in router is Not the IP seen when websurfing.. !!??
So instead of 2 IP's: Internet connection & Gateway.... with websurfing IP matching Internet connection IP...
I have 3 IP's: Internet connection & Gateway: ( both in 100.72.x.x) and IP that is reported for websurfing (24.75.x.x)
Firewall errors were my mis-entered IP's trying to make sense of the 3 vs 2 IP's.... and guessing wrong...

Mr. T! You are Correct! I just learned this elsewhere!!
Those IP’s Does unexpected things with pings and ICMP Firewall rules.
Do you know if the ‘Gateway’ IP from a CGNAT as seen by 2600 can be trusted as a ‘ping target’, as in — being a reliable indicator that something is actually there??
Thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.