Question Firmware upgrade of DS106e

Currently reading
Question Firmware upgrade of DS106e

NAS
DS-106e
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi,

This is quite a long-shot but I'll ask anyway :D.

I have an old DS-106e and I've seen some dated posts on the internet where the firmware has been upgraded to a later version than would have normally been possible.

Many, if not all, of the links are out of date and the files no longer exist. Does anyone here have any idea whether the firmware is still available to do this? Are there any write-ups around which are more in date with relevant links?

Seems a waste to throw it out if it can be upgraded to something useful :)

Thanks

Using as is not really an option as it doesn't work.

The HDD was removed long ago and it just sat there doing nothing. Today, I thought I'd pop a HDD in and get it back up and running which is where the problems start.
Using Synology Assistant, I tried to install the firmware but got error saying I should use PowerPC 107 firmware version 1636 or above.
I can find archives for 1636 or above but not powerPC. The only PowerPC I can find is 1139 so it won't let me install as it's less than 1636...

This is all very strange why it is asking for 107 firmware when it is a 106!!

In any case, unless I can get this in to some working condition, it'll go in the bin as at the moment it is nothing more than a paper weight.

Out of curiosity I did try to SSH in to it but the connection was refused so there is something running...

If the connection is refused, I doubt it is worth in trying to find the default password for root as there is no way to enter it.

I also tried telnet but was greeted with the following error:
sh: /usr/syno/bin/synoautoblock: not found
and I could not find a username / password combination which worked.

Even if I could gain access, are there any guides as to how to change firmware using these methods?

Even if I could gain access, are there any guides as to how to change firmware using these methods?
There are yes. The general idea is the same. But not sure it will apply to such an old model.

An example here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

use this NAS as prehistoric artifact ;) (I have few similar HWs in my garage)
with SATA150 interface it will be a candidate for an exhibition purposes
for me it’s better to stay in as-is running environment for a fun

There are yes. The general idea is the same. But not sure it will apply to such an old model.

An example here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for this. All went well until it asked for the root password which I tried and it didn't like.

I also found another reference to the Synology password here and I tried the source code to try todays password just in case it worked but unfortunately that didn't either :mad:

Thanks anyway for your efforts.

use this NAS as prehistoric artifact ;) (I have few similar HWs in my garage)
with SATA150 interface it will be a candidate for an exhibition purposes
for me it’s better to stay in as-is running environment for a fun
Yep, prehistoric alright :D. I just wanted to see whether I could do anything with it rather than throw it in the bin. The SATA150 interface would be alright for me as I only wanted it as a photo station or something to test a webpage or two on. Maybe utilize the download station perhaps - nothing too strenuous...

Ok. For all you cynics out there who intimated throwing my ancient DS-106e in the bin, I did.

But then I thought, hey. Lets have one more go... and now I have a DS-109j ahem a DS-106e with an identity issue who thinks it's a DS-109j running DSM4.2 :D

The trouble I have now is one of passwords.
Prior to where I am now, I used telnet and the root user with a password which appears to vary daily according to a post here and no longer works. Neither does the default 101-0101 password nor does 'blank', 'root', 'admin' etc

Does anyone know what the telnet root password is for DSM4.2???

Thanks

Ok. For all you cynics out there who intimated throwing my ancient DS-106e in the bin, I did.
I just assumed you'd put it in the loft, like I do. I'm currently stress-testing the beams with an array of kit from the early 90s and 2000s.

Got a Zipp and Jazz drive up there and Mac SE (can't remember if I've still got both SE/30 and SE FDHD 4/40, or just the SE/30). Mac G4 tower too. It's an exclusive museum up there: only one visitor ... ever. :)

I just assumed you'd put it in the loft, like I do. I'm currently stress-testing the beams with an array of kit from the early 90s and 2000s.

Got a Zipp and Jazz drive up there and Mac SE (can't remember if I've still got both SE/30 and SE FDHD 4/40, or just the SE/30). Mac G4 tower too. It's an exclusive museum up there: only one visitor ... ever. :)

Too much cr*p up there at the minute. I have a number of old processors which admittedly don't take up a great deal of space and a few old backup tapes.

It might still end up there if I can't find the root password!!

Well, it apprars at some point between DSM4 and DSM6, Synology have disabled root access via telnet / ssh.

Apparently you can log in via admin and sudo -i to give the root privileges but in my case I get an error:
Code:
-sh: sudo: not found
So, I think after all it will be confined to the bin. All I wanted was to try something simple like installing a package which was only compatible with the DS109+ so wanted to change the config file once again just to confuse it further...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.