First Synology buy, a few questions

Currently reading
First Synology buy, a few questions

Operating system
  1. Linux
Hello, I just registered to this forum! I'm about to buy my first Synology but I have a few questions:

1. Can I backup files to a BTRFS external drive over USB?
2. If I go for a plus model, can I keep the volume encryption keys on a usb drive attached to the unit?
3. J units don't have USB Copy. Can I still trigger incremental backups to a USB disk using the web GUI?
4. I read that in the last few DSM versions you can't create block-level LUNs anymore, only file-level LUNs (How do I transfer my data from a block-level LUN to a file-level LUN? - Synology Knowledge Center). Can a client using a file-level LUN still encrypt the whole LUN with something like LUKS?

I already asked this questions in other places but I could not get an answer.

Welcome to the forum!

1. Can I backup files to a BTRFS external drive over USB?
No. That FS is no supported on external drives

2. If I go for a plus model, can I keep the volume encryption keys on a usb drive attached to the unit?
Ofc

3. J units don't have USB Copy. Can I still trigger incremental backups to a USB disk using the web GUI?
Using Hyper Backup your can do this with no issues.

Can a client using a file-level LUN still encrypt the whole LUN with something like LUKS?
While I haven't tested this myself, 99% you can, if by LUN on the client side you mean the actual data volume that will be presented.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.