DS720+, DS418play
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
FlashStation FS2500 - Cost-effective all-flash storage for small and medium-sized businesses

Boost your applications with low-latency storage​

With its compact 1U form factor, the 12-bay Synology FlashStation FS2500 is the ideal storage solution for small and medium-sized businesses looking to improve the responsiveness of I/O-intensive applications such as virtual machines (VMs), light databases, or email servers...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
When the rumours of this product started to circulate I did wonder if it would be my next NAS (well, before the vendor-locking goals became clear). My main NAS is SSD-only so it is a 2U box filled mostly with empty space and a 10 GbE NIC is a must.

For SMB / SOHO use the new FS2500 looks ok at first sight - 2.5" bays only, so 12 drives in only 1U of space, AMD CPU rather than a costly and hot Xeon, Btrfs, 2 x native 10 GbE ports plus an expansion bay for SFP28 NIC etc.

In more detail some of the choices are odd for this new 'sudo enterprise' class Synology is pushing. Still using SATA drives only for inexplicable reasons; so stuck with the lower IOPS, read/write clash issue and reduced throughput. You will not be putting an enterprise-class SAS SSD in this machine (well you could, but a bit of a waste).

Out of the inbuilt and the expansion NICs only the 2 x 1 GbE ports support WoL and no true OOB management either. The power supply choice and internal layout means the rack is noisy and the depth means that this will not fit in a typical small office comms rack - surprising when the drives take up so little room when compared to 3.5" bays.

SSDs in a NAS is no longer niche and Synology is not making enough effort to embrace them.

☕

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.