DS216+II, DS118, DS718+, DS720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Here and there I've seen stories about 'Folding @ Home'. A project where we can contribute our available CPU and GPU power from home to scientist around the world who need computer power for data analys against the Corona virus:

And I see docker containers now as wel. So we might be able to provide these resources via our NAS'es? Docker Hub

Here and there I've seen stories about 'Folding @ Home'. A project where we can contribute our available CPU and GPU power from home to scientist around the world who need computer power for data analys against the Corona virus:

And I see docker containers now as wel. So we might be able to provide these resources via our NAS'es? Docker Hub

Shadow, I'd be interested to learn of your experience. I installed a foldingathome app in Docker on my DS918+, and it seemed to be working fine (processing a job, making progress), until it came time to upload the result back to headquarters, at which point it just hung, and stayed hung. I eventually stopped it manually. Started another job, with the same result. I then gave up, because it does them more harm if you undertake a job and don't complete it than if you had done nothing at all (since jobs are serialized). If it ends up working for you, I'd love to hear about the details of your installation.

I also found, very strangely, that running folding@home and Tautulli in docker simultaneously caused Plex (NOT running in Docker) to crash.

Last edited:
@akahan ,
May I ask which Docker image you installed exactly? And did you maybe give that container it's own IP address in the network?

Yes, good question. It was johnktims/folding-at-home. I didn't give it its own IP address. Significantly, the container was able to FETCH necessary information about the job it was to perform (so it clearly has internet connectivity); it just wasn't able to upload the result when finished. As the job progresses, you see a "percentage done" slider in the UI. It got to 99.99% and just got stuck there, both times I tried.

Well now. I've setup the docker container on my new DS718+ .

2020-04-10_21-16-50.jpg

Such a coincidence this article came by which saved me alot of research: NAS Compares - Using Your NAS to Fight COVID-19 .

And I used @Shoop helpfull tip here to easily manage and distribute LAN IP addresses on Docker containers (thank you!). So I simply gave this container it's own IP address as you can see in the screenshot above and here:

2020-04-10_21-23-32.jpg

Now i'm going to run trough this webpanel and see what it does...

Thanks for the update! I'll be interested to hear whether your NAS is able to upload the result to "headquarters" when it finishes a job. If it is, I'll have to figure out what you did right and where I went wrong!

it has been reported that with so many people starting to do this that servers simply weren't able to cope with the influx of results - that may have been your issue.

linustechtips put a video up the other day where they were helping by adding some more servers themselves to help with the extra results being sent back.

i'm up and running, but no COVID-19 research on either of the two images currently available

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Right. So this docker has been running on my NAS for 2,5 hours. I check back on the webpage but I see absolutely no change from the screenshot i shared earlier. So have no idea if it's working or not.. I did see it going to the internet a couple of times via IFTOP network monitoring. But that's about it...

I don't suppose this app needs UPnP or a port forward, right..?

i see that container doesn't have COVID-19 as an option to choose.

This one doesn't either: linuxserver/foldingathome

But here I do read this:
Unlike BOINC, which allows you to add a multitude of projects, Folding@home has a singular purpose with a few different sub-types. In the case of COVID-19, the “Any” type prioritises this.

because i've gained points for completed tasks, and i watched one go to 100% then start a new task.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 35
Ok. I'm gonna try and put my docker container in a different Docker network. It's now in a Docker network with my NordVPN proxy server set as default gateway. My AdGuard docker container is in this same Docker network and that has no problem accessing the internet via NordVPN. Maybe F@H can't, so I'm gonna allow it to access the internet directly and see what happens...

Just found that this app saves logs in it's docker volume and found these errors:

Code:
[93m10:25:43:WARNING:Attempting to update GPUs.txt from assign2.foldingathome.org:80: Could not get IP address for assign2.foldingathome.org: Temporary failure in name resolution[0m

So it's a DNS issue. Hmm... Hmm....

It's looks like it's working now.

2020-04-11_14-45-14.jpg

Good thing I did set CPU priority to low in the Docker settings before I started it:
2020-04-11_14-46-54.jpg

Now ofcourse wait and see if I get the same problem as @akahan .

I did 2 changes here, so I don't know which one solved it:

1. I changed the following Docker network (this one can give containers it's own IP address on the LAN) and set the gateway to my router instead of my NordVPN VM:
2020-04-11_14-50-30.jpg

2. In addition, I added the container to an additional 'internal' docker bridge network together with AdGuard:
2020-04-11_14-52-42.jpg

I expect nr1. is more likely to solve the issue... Let's wait and see...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.