Folding@home project in your NAS

Currently reading
Folding@home project in your NAS

Thanks. I've done some googling and have found many threads on reddit, etc., w/folks having the same issue in Chrome and other browsers, so at least I have a lot of company. :) If I clear cache on Chrome it works for a while and then gets stuck again at some point. However, Firefox works w/out issue so I'll just keep a FF window open w/the web control up and do it from there. I have to move on to much more important things like setting up vlan tagging on a new managed switch I got yesterday. ;-)

Gotta admin, and obviously, the GPU makes a huge differance.

Looks like our team is growing a bit steadily. Anyone else going to join us? xD

2020-04-16_11-25-24.jpg

Thanks. I've done some googling and have found many threads on reddit, etc., w/folks having the same issue in Chrome and other browsers, so at least I have a lot of company. :) If I clear cache on Chrome it works for a while and then gets stuck again at some point. However, Firefox works w/out issue so I'll just keep a FF window open w/the web control up and do it from there. I have to move on to much more important things like setting up vlan tagging on a new managed switch I got yesterday. ;-)

I'm having EXACTLY the same experience with Chrome v. Firefox, etc.

We are now being tracked on the ExtremeOverclockers stats, over the next few days you will start to see our individual stats appear

synoforum.png

here I'm from this morning
Everything is OK and I will step by step connect all my resources from my home, just for a test.
I have trouble with enabling of my GPU in FAHControl/Configure/Slots:
- CPU is ok and all 8 cores are running
- then ADD/GPU. Results:
a) when I leave gpu-index = -1, then OK, I can see gpu in list of Folding slots. Then SAVE ... GPU is disappeared (also with double check)
b) when I play with the gpu-index, same story there

Next issue:
- first job finished, 1000 credit points written immediately (seen in localhost, also in Team stats)
- second job finished, over 6k points, status unwritten, ten minutes ago just + new 719 credits
- third job is running, I will check after
I don't need to win points trophy, but they have some bug there.
Also with localhost (web control) counter have some calculation fail, from second job is showing "0" credits

Now I running in second computer (light power from the first) and I see the difference between jobs performance

I added my "mighty" DS218+ to the team. It only seems to use one core (I did not explicitly give it any CPU limits in the Docker UI), but I suppose that keeps the NAS responsive for its primary purposes.

You can likely adjust how many cores it uses in the Folding@work UI. For mine, the difference between "Light," "Medium," and "Full" is how many cores it uses.
That makes sense. Would it hurt the responsive of the NAS -- as a NAS -- if I put it to "Full?" I'm inclined to just leave it as is since the performance impact is not noticeable the way it is.

Certainly using more cores will leave fewer resources for other tasks. But it may be that your other tasks are not very demanding, and wouldn’t notice the difference. You’d just have to try it and find out. But I. The worst case, it’s one click to switch it back.

Certainly using more cores will leave fewer resources for other tasks. But it may be that your other tasks are not very demanding, and wouldn’t notice the difference. You’d just have to try it and find out. But I. The worst case, it’s one click to switch it back.
for my i9-9900KS - in Medium Folding power and full 8-cores utilization (total for 80%) is still enough space for few process :cool: , there isn't significant difference between Full and Medium Power.

here I'm from this morning
Everything is OK and I will step by step connect all my resources from my home, just for a test.
I have trouble with enabling of my GPU in FAHControl/Configure/Slots:
- CPU is ok and all 8 cores are running
- then ADD/GPU. Results:
a) when I leave gpu-index = -1, then OK, I can see gpu in list of Folding slots. Then SAVE ... GPU is disappeared (also with double check)
b) when I play with the gpu-index, same story there
probably a miracle
from Today I can connect from my Linux FAH console to each other remote FAH clients (untouched configuration, just restart overnight), even I was able from the remote FAH console ADD the missing GPU in remote client. Miracle :cool:

Ahah !
I changed my name to be unique since it seems like Shoop was already used by some other guys and it was mixing my scores with theirs and now my score is back to 0...
New name should appear in about 1h.

it seems like Shoop was already used by some other guys and it was mixing my scores with theirs

Hmm. and maybe that explains this:

@Shadow , I see you've been folding for LTT, OC.co.uk, OC.com, ASUS ROG, Guru3D, PCMR ... interesting 😏

Euh...? wut? I don't get it. Only started yesterday.

your stats ... Folding@home stats report
that's why you should register an ID to make sure your contribution is linked to your ID :D

My ID's are secured with a passkey.

You’d just have to try it and find out. But I. The worst case, it’s one click to switch it back.
I did try moving the slider to "Full" and it made no difference, with Docker showing it at the same 50% CPU as before. The "Details" page shows "CPU Priority: Med" which must be the default as I did not set that option when I created the container. So the short answer is, the Syno Docker overrides that slider.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.