Folding@home project in your NAS

Currently reading
Folding@home project in your NAS

Mine is also secured with a passkey but I wonder if it really works now that I've seen these scores are mixed ...
And now, even though I used the same passkey and just changed the name, my previous participation is totally not linked to this new username... So the passkey miht not be that effective to track the folding activity done by me with different usernames ...

Last edited:
Strange thing I noticed ....
After changing my username to make it "unique" i saw that only 10% of my points were validated. I had not created a new passkey as I thought it would link the new username to the passkey I was currently using and that I could use any username as long as I have a passkey but seems like it's not the case here ...
Now it has validated only 47,407 points with 3 Work Units which equals 15.8k per Work Unit. In the last work logs I saw that the estimated credit for the last work unit was 127k.
So I registered for a new passkey linked to the new username, entered it in the client and again my score got reset.
Will confirm once next work unit is complete if getting this new passkey for the username allowed me to get 100% of my points/credits and if so, I greatly encourage everyone here to get a passkey as without it only 10% of your points/credit will count.

EDIT : Oh and this, I can find at the bottom of the F@H FAQ page for passkey (HERE) :
Note: Use one and only one passkey for all clients. There is no advantage to using multiple passkeys, and several disadvantages.

And now, even though I used the same passkey and just changed the name, my previous participation is totally not linked to this new username... So the passkey miht not be that effective to track the folding activity done by me with different usernames ...
same “magic” happened to me when I generated the passkey from my Linux PC as single passkey for all machines. I lost all my credits from previous jobs from other HW. My fault.
Then you need create passkey from first instance for each others before you start first folding, then you can share it.

Will confirm once next work unit is complete if getting this new passkey for the username allowed me to get 100% of my points/credits and if so, I greatly encourage everyone here to get a passkey as without it only 10% of your points/credit will count.
Ok ... that F@H is all messed up ... it's only validating around 10% of the estimated credit/points ...
Before changing username and passkey each job was giving me around 130k credits/points.
Now it is giving me an average 16.4k credits for each job ...

You are still our MVP Shoop.. xD

1587457310371.png

I noticed that you can now choose "Covid-19" in the dropdown menu for "I support research fighting..."
I'm not certain that choosing this is a good idea - it may be that with all the influx of new servers entering the folding world (after exiting the SETI world...), there is not enough Covid-19 work to go around, and you will get more utilization by choosing "any disease". But it IS an option.

Hey guys,

I have a DS1019+ at home and was looking how I could add to the COVID research and ended up on your thread here. I'm not at home but setup the linuxserver/foldingathome on docker and started it. Looks like it's running fine but stopped it after an hour as I'm not able to access to the dashboard from here (can't forward port remotely). I'm running just for tests in parallel now as well on my macbook pro but just for testing - also contributing to the group under 'tankmann'
Some questions:
- I've requested a Folding@home passkey but I never recieved it, after 4 hours I clicked it again but the email never comes, so no greylisting issue or so. Any idea? I can try a different one but wanted to keep it 'clear' :) (requested it here: Get a Folding@home Passkey)
- For configuration (name / teamname / passkey) - do I specify that in docker enviroment variables or just via the webinterface (and when start stop / reboot whatsoever it keeps it?)
- Sidenode: I use a amplifi router at home and used the teleport feature to connect to my local network. I actually do get the internet access piped through but no access to any of my local network 192.168.2.xxx - anyone famiiar with that?

Otherwise will fix it when I'm back home.
Cheers and nice to meet you guys!

Hi @tankmann, welcome to this forum!

- I've requested a Folding@home passkey but I never recieved it, after 4 hours I clicked it again but the email never comes, so no greylisting issue or so. Any idea? I can try a different one but wanted to keep it 'clear' :) (requested it here: Get a Folding@home Passkey)
This is the right method. I've requested 3 passkeys and received them all.. Also checked your spam folder..?

- For configuration (name / teamname / passkey) - do I specify that in docker enviroment variables or just via the webinterface (and when start stop / reboot whatsoever it keeps it?)
No, this is to be configured in the webinterface. As mentioned earlier in this post, here is an example how you can configure the container.

- Sidenode: I use a amplifi router at home and used the teleport feature to connect to my local network. I actually do get the internet access piped through but no access to any of my local network 192.168.2.xxx - anyone famiiar with that?
I would suggest to start a separate thread about this in the lounge.

Just curious, but has anything tangible ever come out of "folding at home" user work units... a new molecule... a treatment... anything apart from adding to the computing carbon footprint? I was once drawn to this and apart from "bragging rights", I got no sense that my network was making a real contribution.

It reminds me of home recycling programs where we sort out stuff, deposit it in segregated containers for pick-up (and pay extra for that privilege), and then discover that most of it ended up at the landfill as the sorting and transportation costs were too high, and too few recycling processors showed interest in taking the collections.

Just curious, but has anything tangible ever come out of "folding at home" user work units... a new molecule... a treatment... anything apart from adding to the computing carbon footprint?

It reminds me of home recycling programs where we sort out stuff, deposit it in segregated containers for pick-up (and pay extra for that privilege), and then discover that most of it ended up at the landfill as the sorting and transportation costs were too high, and too few recycling processors showed interest in taking the collections.
Hey Telos,
two very good points actually and I think it's worth discussing.
From my side I have all my energy consumption covered through solar panels (I rent them on another roof nearby my house as my own house can't get enough) but get same benefits tax wise and cover 95% of my consumption.

In terms of - does the program actually contribute to 'something' - I don't know but curious if anyone has insights here. 👍

I'm no expert, but it appears F@H actually has done some good.
See:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's a lot of other similarly-themed reporting out there, but I don't feel competent to judge its merits. It seems to me, though, that if it were useless, there'd be at least one scientist loudly explaining why it's a waste of time/energy, and I haven't been able to find her.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.