For the love of god is there a way to disable these "tooltips"?

Currently reading
For the love of god is there a way to disable these "tooltips"?

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Last edited:
I don't know what you call them, but anything you mouse over you get these constant obnoxious "popups". I can appreciate them for "information" when you hover over a button or function because it provides useful info but, for instance in File Station, do we really need a popup to echo the exact text of of a clearly visible filename or folder when I mouse over it. Please tell me there's a way to turn it off? I'm using DSM 7.0 on a DS920+.

for instance in File Station, do we really need a popup to echo the exact text of of a clearly visible filename or folder when I mouse over it.
Unless you are suggesting a way for the UI to change behaviour when it thinks all information is fully visible then you run the risk of crippling a feature essential for when screen real estate is insufficient for the task or when a window is partially obscured by another window.

Personally I appreciate the UI as it is. The pop-ups provide additional information not normally visible and only ever appear when moused-over. They respond very quickly and have zero persistency when the mouse is moved away or onto a different file or folder. Additionally, they do not appear at all when the keyboard, cursor pad or scroll function is used to view, select or manipulate the files or folders.

That I have a preference for the status quo suggests that others will have a counter-view, or don't really think about it at all. It is a feature, not a bug. ☕

Unless you are suggesting a way for the UI to change behaviour when it thinks all information is fully visible then you run the risk of crippling a feature essential for when screen real estate is insufficient for the task or when a window is partially obscured by another window.
O.K. I will suggest, in File Station (for starters), to not have a box popup that displays text verbatim that is already displayed in the widget you've moused over. This occurs, in particular, when you've selected a folder from the left column and are presented with a list of subfolder names in the main window. Are there cases where the "feature" shown below is helpful?

popup.jpg

Here is my suggestion in psedo code (you know, to get the UI/UX devs started...):

if string displayed in moused over widget == the string you're going to show in a popup, then don't show that popup

(No, that's not meant to be serious)

It becomes distracting/annoying when doing repetitive things like changing names of folders, especially when trying to keep an overview of the folder names.

Also, it's not uncommon for UI's to have a "Disable Tooltips" or similar option. That is all I was really enquiring about in my original post (in addition to some venting).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.