Forcing Power Cuts on a DS213J

Currently reading
Forcing Power Cuts on a DS213J

NAS
DS213J
Last edited:
Hi,

What's the one off or ongoing impact of killing the power on the DS213J without doing a proper shutdown. It's not that I always want to do it, but I want to do it pretty frequently and I'm curious about any impact. I know it's the wrong action and the guides and experts will advise proper shutdown, but please what's the practical implication of killing the power quite frequently. PLEASE NOTE I don't have any data on the device.

I use a USB share on a DS213J. It's working brilliantly and I love it. The DS213J contains none of my data - I don't store any files on it, I just use the USB share with an external SSD drive.

When I'm not actively using it and not wanting to hear it, I find the whirring of the fans annoying and I want to switch it off quickly. The device is an awkward position, shutdown is slow... hold the power for however many seconds and then however many minutes later it's shutdown. This is of course fairly reasonable, but I'm being unreasonable and impatient.

Please tell me what, if any, damage I will do if I just kill the power to the DS213J?

I mention I use an external SSD connected via USB so this of course will suffer instant powerloss. If you can comment on the impact to the SSD I'd also be interested please.

I'm seeking practical experience and wisdom, not text book theory which of course condemns sudden powerloss activity.

Thank you.

simple - you will fundamentally shorten lifespan of TTL/CMOS part of power supply in MoBo.

I’m speechless from this stage:
I want to switch it off quickly. The device is an awkward position, shutdown is slow... hold the power for however many seconds and then however many minutes later it's shutdown
Btw, how much seconds do you lose with booting?

hi @jeyare,

Thank you for your comment. As I mentioned it's currently awkward to get to, and I'm impatient (or was wanting to be).

Booting seems to take forever, eh. But auto boot on a timer makes that much easier.

I just also read elsewhere how SSDs can be particularly seriously damaged by power cuts. OK so I'm abandoning the idea. Thanks

Hi @Telos,

I bought the used NAS on a whim just to try it out. It's brilliant. So much functionality and great value, I'm really impressed.

At the moment all I'm using it for is to do USB share on an external high security SSD.

The NAS provides an extra security layer. I hear sharing on the router isn't very secure/is less secure. The NAS auto boots and can shutdown also.

I'll keep going with the proper shutdown - 1st world problems for me.

Thank you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.