found a way to add NordVPN in my Synology router but it just enable it for all traffic...

Currently reading
found a way to add NordVPN in my Synology router but it just enable it for all traffic...

Hi,
so finally found a way to add my VPN account into my synology router
(network center > Internet > VPN Settings)
Now I wonder what about if I want it to enable only for certain devices (connected through wireless)?
Many thanks for hints!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!
I'm confused now between source IP and destination IP.. should I assign a static IP first to the Smart TVs I want to use the VPN with? Cheers :)

I just sorted it. Yes to reserved (fixed) IP and I filled source IP with the device IP and left destination IP empty.
Here's a couple of related threads:
Synology Community
Synology Community

Thank you all!

How did you set up Nord?

When I tried it a while ago, I used the provided OpenVPN files and ended up losing about 80-90 percent of my internet speed. It rendered my connection unusable.
In my test and use cases penalty is between 15-35% on average using UDP connection (depends on Norde node utilization most of the time).

Interesting. Maybe I just chose a bad server. My 200Mbps down connection was getting reduced to about ~20-30Mbps, which was not feasible at all.
Also, keep in mind that I run my VPN client setup as a VM machine with more horsepower than your average router so that is also a factor.

Also, keep in mind that I run my VPN client setup as a VM machine with more horsepower than your average router so that is also a factor.

Oh! Thanks for clarifying that. It also stimulated my memory.

I actually pinged Nord tech support about my speed going to nothing. It's the RT2600ac. It lacks the hardware
acceleration to do ... whatever it does ... to make the VPN'd packets work (encryption?), and trying to do it in software completely strangles the router.

I wonder what would happen if I tried to set up a VPN as a docker container on my Raspberry Pi. :P

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.