FreshRSS: A free, self-hostable news feed aggregator

Docker FreshRSS: A free, self-hostable news feed aggregator

Currently reading
Docker FreshRSS: A free, self-hostable news feed aggregator

Ok, it seems like there was a permission problem. I changed from

`
GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'freshrss'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD` to `GRANT ALL` and now it all seems to work. I am always really confused what privileges are needed and I always end up opening up permissions so much :S

I followed the manual and the container runs perfectly only I get a 403 error after login. This can be solved by working without a password but then I cannot open the container on the internet for security reasons. Anyone have a solution for this?
Code:
You have no rights to view this page.
← Go back to your RSS feeds

I followed the manual and the container runs perfectly only I get a 403 error after login. This can be solved by working without a password but then I cannot open the container on the internet for security reasons. Anyone have a solution for this?
Code:
You have no rights to view this page.
← Go back to your RSS feeds
No no. Do not use it without a password. Are you sure its not just a wrong password?

Last edited:
No no. Do not use it without a password. Are you sure its not just a wrong password?
Yep, will check it again. But password is oke.

*** Have stopped the container. Deleted the config files and restarted the container and setup again and now it seems working. ***

Is anyone able to help with the problem I'm getting: I followed the instructions on this guide for sqlite and postgresql backed installations, however when I launch the container and browse to the web UI I don't get installation page but a login instead. I try to create an account but it fails with a 302 response, which is telling me something isn't setup right.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-25 at 12.03.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-25 at 12.03.51.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 14
Is anyone able to help with the problem I'm getting: I followed the instructions on this guide for sqlite and postgresql backed installations, however when I launch the container and browse to the web UI I don't get installation page but a login instead. I try to create an account but it fails with a 302 response, which is telling me something isn't setup right.

Thanks
Whats your backend? Postgres or sql? Have you tried to terminate the DB and start fresh?

Last edited:
Interesting. I noticed that recent upgrades of the FreshRSS container didn't revert back to the check installation offering to use the config and data it found: instead it went to the login screen. I assumed this only happened for existing installations. Seems not.

The FreshRSS website doesn't really say anything on if this has changed.

Update...

I just downloaded the latest image and updated my running FreshRSS. It still goes to the login page.

Next I've created a new FreshRSS container but with nothing saved to specific NAS folders. Going to the webpage and I see the setup screen. So for you, @weiran, FreshRSS must have detected something it thinks is an existing installation.

Interesting. I noticed that recent upgrades of the FreshRSS container didn't revert back to the check installation offering to use the config and data it found: instead it went to the login screen. I assumed this only happened for existing installations. Seems not.

The FreshRSS website doesn't really say anything on if this has changed.
What does it mean for new installations then? How will you connect it to the DB? Asking considering I'm not actively running FRSS setup myself.

What does it mean for new installations then?
Updated my post ^^^ with a test of a new install. Seems to work and go to the setup page. After this is where the DB selection is made, so having a host link to psql container or not won't affect it but a clean (or otherwise) 'config' folder probably will.

Updated my post ^^^ with a test of a new install. Seems to work and go to the setup page. After this is where the DB selection is made, so having a host link to psql container or not won't affect it but a clean (or otherwise) 'config' folder probably will.
Ok so I suggested the correct method. My point was the same, the installation must think that this is a current setup. tnx for the update.

I've tried both sqlite and postgresql options but both times I get the login page. I've never got to the point of configuring postgres, and my data and extension folders are both empty.

I've just tried recreating the container from scratch but still have the same problem. What did you change in your guide? Not sure what's making FreshRSS think I have an existing install.

Thanks

I've tried both sqlite and postgresql options but both times I get the login page. I've never got to the point of configuring postgres, and my data and extension folders are both empty.

I've just tried recreating the container from scratch but still have the same problem. What did you change in your guide? Not sure what's making FreshRSS think I have an existing install.

Thanks
Have you deleted the DBs? There is really no reason for it to think that unless the DBs are not empty. Try and clear them out (or recreate them) and see how that will work.

What did you change in your guide?
The quick test creating a new container omitted and setting in the Volume tab (in fact no Advanced settings were used). Then logging to http://nas_ip:auto_port_mapped_to_container_80 I land on the setup page. If you see a login page then something is wrong with the container image.

The issue seems to be if I have a data folder mapped to the container, even though the folder is empty it always shows me the login page. If I unmap that folder it shows setup fine, but obviously anything I save here is not going to survive a container upgrade...

Hmm. Ok.

I don't know what's changed and why this is happening but there's a workaround I've just done...

When you add the Volumes config for the FreshRSS container do this:
system > docker > freshrss > data/config/www/freshrss/data_temp

This will create an empty folder 'data_temp' which we will use to copy over the contents of 'data' folder once the initial setup has been run.

Now finish the other steps and run the container. Browse to the FreshRSS web page and complete the setup.

In the Docker GUI select the FreshRSS container and click Details. Then go to the Terminal tab and click Create. Select the new 'bash' shell and run the command:

cp -r /config/www/freshrss/data/* /config/www/freshrss/data_temp/

Stop the container and edit the Volumes back to the original
system > docker > freshrss > data/config/www/freshrss/data

Restart the container. You should now get the login screen and be able to enter as your admin user.

I'll look into the why this has changed. Also there are new PUID and PGID environment parameters now but using these doesn't alter this issue... I tried using them and nowt happened.

Reviewing the latest linuxserver/freshrss instructions from linuxserver/freshrss and I see the deployment instructions have changed (and now differ from the freshrss/freshrss image instructions).

ONLY FOR NEW INSTALLS. Don't change Volume settings for an existing container.

Where before it was
FolderMount path
system > docker > freshrss > data/config/www/freshrss/data
system > docker > freshrss > extensions/config/www/freshrss/extensions

Now it should be
FolderMount path
system > docker > freshrss/config

You can also update the Environment tab with PUID and PGID so the files are mapped to a NAS user's uid and gid (get these from the SSH command line using id)
TZe.g. Europe/London
PUIDe.g. 1026 (first user you created on DMS?)
PGIDe.g. 100 (users)

FOR EXISTING INSTALLATIONS. A few steps to move to the new 'all-in-one' NAS folder.

I'm going to say it's better to keep the current NAS data and extensions folders untouched (for posterity, and rollback-ability). So create a new NAS folder to hold the complete /config data: I'll call mine 'freshrss_ls' for Linuxserver image. We're going to build a new set of /config files and copy across the current .../data and .../extensions folders.

Stop the FreshRSS container and remap the Volumes so that there is now just one defined.
FolderMount path
system > docker > freshrss_ls/config

You can also add the Environment variables too.
PUIDe.g. 1026 (think this is the first user you created on DMS?)
PGIDe.g. 100 (users)

Select the unrunning container and perform the Clear action: it resets the container and forces the GUI settings to be reapplied [and took me a few tries to realise this was needed before logins worked].

Restart the FreshRSS container and check its web page is at the setup page. Now stop the container: you've added the baseline /config files into NAS freshrss_ls.

So far, so new. Now let's get your actual FreshRSS container data back into circulation...

Within File Station go to freshrss_ls/www/freshrss/ and delete the baseline data and extensions folders (or rename them). !! make sure you're doing this in the new baseline freshrss_ls folder !! :)

The next step is to continue with File Station and copy your FreshRSS folders freshrss/data/ and freshrss/extensions/ into freshrss_ls/www/freshrss/.

Now restart the FreshRSS container and browsing should go to the login page ... and you can log in.

=======
A new feature, due to /config being saved in the NAS folder, is changes to /config/crontab/root is now preserved during image updates. I prefer to set FreshRSS to perform 5 minute schedule instead of the default 15. So far I have to change this every update.

Thank you @fredbert for figuring it out and updating your great guide! I should've read the FreshRSS docs more closely as I didn't notice that change.

Is automatic updating already setup on this container? I was going to look at setting that up next.

Last edited:
I've updated the main resource to reflect the single NAS folder/volume so hopefully that's fixed it for a while. I didn't notice it until looking at the recommended docker command line parameters.

Is automatic updating already setup on this container?
I'm thinking it is. In FreshRSS v1.15.x (or earlier), IIRC, there used to be an upgrade button in the admin menus but I don't see that now, only auto-update server URL. TBH I prefer to decide when to update.

@weiran I was puzzled that the Update admin menu item was missing. With v1.16.1 and v1.16.2 being available yesterday and today I looked to see if/when the update happens and I'm think now it's disabled in the container.

The default config.php file has the last instruction of 'disable_update' => true, and this is carried over to the actual config.php in /config/www/freshrss. Changing 'true' to 'false' will bring back the Update menu item and allow one to check for new versions and then install them. Maybe there's a reason to disable it?

The Linuxserver.io container is one of the helpful ones that includes the version of the containerised application in its tag info on the Docker Registry, so if you get ahead you can be sure when updating the container with the same or later version.

Note to self:

Don't blindly go and download Docker ':latest' images especially for PostgreSQL.

I started my PostgreSQL database on v12.N and overtime the images have progressed to v12.4 and now v13.0. So 'latest' jumps to v13 and then I start having issues with the docker-entrypoint.sh postgres command. I guess there may be some built in paths that still go to 12.

The easiest rollback is to:
  1. Stop FreshRSS and PostgreSQL containers
  2. Export the PostgreSQL Docker container to .json file
  3. Rename current PostgreSQL container, e.g. PostgresSQL-SAVED
  4. Download PostgreSQL image v12.4
  5. Edit the file, changing this row from/to:
    • "image" : "postgres:latest",
    • "image" : "postgres:12.4",
  6. Import the modified .json file and name the container PostgreSQL
  7. Run 'Clear' action on FreshRSS container.
  8. Run PostgreSQL and FreshRSS containers
When it's all working you can delete PostgreSQL-SAVED container. And when you're brave and want to move back to 'latest' you do the same steps but reverse step 5.

The next thing would be to investigate migration of the postgres database from v12 to v13, if that was the problem, or why the v13 image is having an issue. A google of the error /usr/local/bin/docker-entrypoint.sh: line 315: exec: postgres: not found gets hits of 4 years ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.