FreshRSS: A free, self-hostable news feed aggregator

Docker FreshRSS: A free, self-hostable news feed aggregator

Currently reading
Docker FreshRSS: A free, self-hostable news feed aggregator

I come to the IT Gods for guidance after trying to go through the tutorial for the 4th time with no success. I am stuck at the step:

• "Start configuring FreshRSS by browsing to 'https://<your NAS IP>:32443' and following the instructions to select a language and it will check the installation" but when I go to "https://my NAS IP>:32443" the connection is refused.

Troubleshooting Accomplished

• I went the additional route of going to the Synology router configuration and added ports TCP 32080 & 32443 which shows "Connection Test Results - Ok"

• I also added the ports to the external router to allow for passthrough.
Plus the logs are not giving me much direction to start troubleshooting but I included them to help in the process

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 6
When you followed the setup instructions for FreshRSS Docker, did you use the example port numbers for HTTP and HTTPS?
  • Port Settings tab, change the local ports from auto to fixed numbers: fixing this will help to access FreshRSS after a restart. Notes:
    • Docker assigns ports above 32000 so something like 32080 and 32443 could be used
    • If you don't plan to use HTTP you can keep it as auto or even delete its rule.
The HTTP port would be the example port 32080 and HTTPS is 32443.

There is also the issue of web browsers now alert or block access to websites where the SSL certificate can't be verified. Maybe this is the cause of the connection issue, if the HTTPS port is correct.

You can try using a HTTP connection to see if that is working.

Personally I wouldn't allow external HTTP access to FreshRSS (that's the 32080 port), and I'd place the direct HTTPS port behind the DSM reverse proxy.

Thank you for replying back @fredbert. To document/gain insights on the issue, I have provided screenshots of the steps that I have taken.

Step 1

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 13.13.51.png

Please note, the only option available to be is "Auto" -

Step 2 -

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 13.15.59.png

Step 3 - Did not set up the environmental tab since it was optional. Here is the current CM though.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 13.17.47.png

Step 4

The error when I go to the https:\\URL:32443

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 13.25.01.png

I have not gotten to the Reverse Proxy portion due to the fact that I can not set up FreshRss.

Cheers - CA.

Do not leave the value to auto. Docker will configure a random port and that host side value (that is currently on Auto) is the port number you need to enter in your browser.

So map a port number you want and do not change the container port column. Leave those values to their default ones. You always change just the host side values (auto).

Then try and rerun the container and access it

• Port Settings tab, change the local ports from auto to fixed numbers: fixing this will help to access FreshRSS after a restart. Notes:
    • Docker assigns ports above 32000 so something like 32080 and 32443 could be used
    • If you don't plan to use HTTP you can keep it as auto or even delete its rule.
For example, from this...

1632246676763.png

To this...
1632246297718.png

If you leave Local Port as 'Auto' then Docker will assign a dynamic port (the one that's accessible on the LAN) and change it every time you stop and start the container.

You could think of this as port forwarding / NAT, where the LAN side of the NAS listens on Local Port 32443 and passes the traffic to the Docker network's LAN IP for the container which is listening on port 443.

This has been a project that I am stumbling through as I learn.

The new error that I am getting is:

"Blast! Verify your database configuration. : Access to database is denied for `rssdbadmin`: SQLSTATE[08006] [7] could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "rss_psql_server" (X.X.0.2) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432".

I checked the "Docker - Network" and they are on the same bridge.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 18.18.39.png

Any suggestions on how to address this?

This has been a project that I am stumbling through as I learn.

The new error that I am getting is:

"Blast! Verify your database configuration. : Access to database is denied for `rssdbadmin`: SQLSTATE[08006] [7] could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "rss_psql_server" (X.X.0.2) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432".

I checked the "Docker - Network" and they are on the same bridge.

View attachment 4525

Any suggestions on how to address this?
It would help to know how exactly you are trying to connect to your DB?

The way that FreshRSS container is configured is to access the Postgres container is via a link: this effectively adds an item in FreshRSS's /etc/hosts file...
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx rss_psql_server PostgreSQL PostgreSQL

It may be that the mapping has changed, I sometimes see this after updating Postgres image and container. The way to fix what I experience is to stop FreshRSS container and 'Edit' its Link... meaning: delete the link, save the configuration, then edit again and re-add the same link info. This seems to flush the and renew the setting.

If you're having difficulty with the using an external database then you can always try testing with SQLite which is built into the FreshRSS container. If that is quick enough you may not need postgresql. You'd have to work out where the SQLite DB is stored and in your final deployment have that Volume mapped to a NAS folder, like I have for shown for the containers' other Volumes.

@fredbert - When I default to the MySQL option to determine if I configured it correctly, it loaded up but I couldn't figure out the Postgres issue. Based on the volume mapping could have been one of the issues, I cleared the whole volume and started over again. FreshRSS now works but the reverse proxy is giving me issues but I will save that project for the weekend. Thank you for your help on this.

OK. Mapping volumes to NAS folders is important because if a container is updated to a new image then any data that it create will be lost (at least how Synology has designed its implementation).

The reverse proxy (setup in Control Panel) needs you define something like this:
1632489014868.png

You'll have to have a SSL certificate that covers the Source Hostname (e.g. freshrss.mydomain.com). Then in Control Panel -> Security -> Certificate you will have you Settings to assign the certificate the new service.

So the issue that I am encountering is that https://feed.*.synology.me defaults to Port 5001 versus reverse proxy doing the redirect. In theory, it shouldn't matter if I use a custom domain name versus the one Synology provides. So is it an ACL issue in which Synology processes the rule first?

I don’t understand what you mean by ‘defaults to Port 5001’. If you use the URL without a port number then it will be assumed to be port 443, for HTTPS.

Do you have other reverse proxy rules that might be being triggered for the same criteria as the specific one for FreshRSS?

Hello,
first thanks for the tutorial. Was running fine until today. Now it stopped working. I think it's because postgres was released in version 14 and my Synology updated it.
Docker containers won't start as it says it cannot start the linked one... So postgres has the message it needs to be restarted but that fails.
Tried to install postgres 13.4 and then both containers (linked) will start. But it would use another database and FreshRss won't start as access to database is denied...

Any help or updates appreciated.

Look on page two: I did the same but starting from Postgres v12 so I changed the container to stay on v12 and not latest.

One thing I have found which might work before doing the linked steps: in FreshRSS container, remove the link to postgres container and save, then add the link back and save. See if that works and let me know as I've noticed that it has fixed linking issues after this.

Note: I changed the .json file for Postgres container to use ':12' as that then keeps getting updates within v12, if there are any.

Last edited:
Thanks, made it working now... My problem was the alias... Had to name the linked alias the same... And this does not work as long as the "old" postgres 14 container was installed...
OK, took like 20 minutes until everything works again... It didn't show anything, then just some older entries from before the update... Reeder app didn't show anything and loaded and loaded... now there were some new entries and it showed my almost 6000 unread items... but the new ones, too. Working now I think...

From looking in a terminal session on the running FreshRSS container...
Bash:
root@FreshRSS:/# more /etc/hosts                                                                         
127.0.0.1       localhost                                                                               
::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback                                                             
fe00::0 ip6-localnet                                                                                     
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix                                                                                 
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes                                                                                     
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters                                                                                   
172.17.0.4      rss_psql_server PostgreSQL PostgreSQL                                                       
172.17.0.6      FreshRSS                                                                                 
root@FreshRSS:/#

Looks like the link in the container's configuration makes this hosts file entry to find the PostgreSQL container on Docker's internal network. In could be that sometimes this doesn't get refreshed correctly when one or the other container is updated. I am not expert on this :)

Does anyone use the feed filters in FreshRSS? I can't get it to work.

I would like articles with a certain keyword to be unread, and all others from the same source to be marked as read.

This is an example:

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 08.41.44.png

If I understand correctly, this means that articles are marked as read if they do not contain the keyword "synology". But it does not work as intended.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.