2. MR2200ac
  3. RT6600ax
  4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
fredbert submitted a new resource:

FreshRSS: A free, self-hostable news feed aggregator - Installation and configuration of FreshRSS in docker, using SQLite or PostgreSQL database

Why use RSS news feeds? By selecting the RSS feeds you subscribe to, you control
  • who puts items in your timeline
  • the order in which you view them
  • no adverts inserted by the service provider
By using a RSS aggregator service you can access your feeds from multiple devices and keep the synchronised: added and deleted feeds; read/unread status; favourite articles.

There are a number of online RSS aggregation services that are either free or paid. Some try to curate the...

Read more about this resource...

Thanks.

The recent upgrade to FreshRSS v 1.15.1 has got Reeder 4 working with the greater.php API. Decided it was time to write it up since I’ve also tested (a lot) the upgrade procedure. Also checked that the mount point folders get all files from initial deployment and during upgrades ... they do. So it’s rather easy.

One of the extensions is a tt-rss API. It’s simple to add and you may want to test it out 😀

Followed the tutorial to the letter, copying and pasting everything and still got a access denied error during database creation. What am I doing wrong?

Was that in the step to access the PostgreSQL server when configuring FreshRSS?

I noted the steps as I did this a number of times and tried different things to see what happens in various approaches. Can you check the container parameters are as expected and the PSQL environment values are the same as you’re using.

The only difference to my setup is my table prefix doesn’t have the ‘_’ suffix, but this was the suggested prefix in FreshRSS documentation.

I’ll run through the steps later gotta get to work now.

yes sir, and I triple check everything. I'll try again today without the underscore suffix
Thanks. There're quite a few steps and it's useful to know where the error was encountered.

here's the error:
Code:
Blast! Verify your database information. : Access to database is denied for `rssdbadmin` (`pgsql:host=rss_psql_server`)
I've walked through it now and I got the same error as you. Comparing against my working setup and there's a clear difference ... in the PostgreSQL setup we shouldn't set a value for the POSTGRES_DB variable... i.e. leave it blank. The database will be created during the FreshRSS initial setup in the web browser. I've confirmed that doing this now does work. I must've made a note for the name I wanted to use and forgot it shouldn't be entered at this point.

So you don't have to redo all your work (unless you want to) you can clear the error like this: During this test I didn't start from fresh when I hit the error but did this to make sure that the PostgreSQL container was reset
  1. Stopped the container.
  2. Edit the container settings to leave POSTGRES_DB with an empty value.
  3. In File Station deleted all files and folders within 'system > docker > postgresql'
  4. Container action -> Clear.
  5. Started the container.
Now in the web setup I could proceed and create the database.

I also noticed I missed clicking the Next button in the container setup: Apply -> Apply should have been Apply -> Next -> Apply.

Hopefully that fixes the error. I've updated the tutorial.

Thanks for finding the bug*

* there's no bug bounty but please help yourself to a cookie 🍪 🍪 or two :)

Since my beloved TT-RSS has been deprecated I may look to this image.

@fredbert can FreshRSS filter feeds by keywords? I'd like to filter feed with certain keywords and then generate a URL for that feed so it can be accessed from the internet.

Hi @fredbert, I am having the same issue "Blast! Verify your database information. : Access to database is denied for `rssdbadmin` (`pgsql:host=rss_psql_server`)" with the main difference that I am running on Docker and with MariaDB.

I can't see the POSTGRES_DB variable in my container. Any idea what I could do to fix this?

Last edited:
@AlexKalopsia If you skipped the PostgreSQL container steps then you'll have to work out how FreshRSS container will access your MariaDB service (I assume you're using the DSM package). Select MySQL database type and I guess you will have to use database settings such as...

HostURL to your MariaDB service
Database usernameyour <MARIADB_USER>
Database passwordyour <MARIADB_PASSWORD>
Databasee.g. freshrss_db
Table prefixe.g. freshrss_

The POSTGRES_DB container variable is part of the PostgreSQL container setup, and you're not using PostgreSQL.

I found these instructions Installation on Debian 9/Ubuntu 16.04 they have some information about using MySQL. I'm not sure if they will be helpful or not but you may have to do some setup within MariaDB to allow FreshRSS to access the database.

Well, the problem is that I have everything setup correctly, I've checked that with the BD account i can access the mariaDB and it all works.

But the WebUI setup always gives me the error message.

Host: myIP:MariaDBPort
Username: db_user
DB_Password: db_psw
Database: db_name
Prefix: my_rss_

Blast! Verify your database information. : Access to database is denied

Well, the problem is that I have everything setup correctly, I've checked that with the BD account i can access the mariaDB and it all works.

But the WebUI setup always gives me the error message.

Host: myIP:MariaDBPort
Username: db_user
DB_Password: db_psw
Database: db_name
Prefix: my_rss_

Blast! Verify your database information. : Access to database is denied
That is all true, but are you sure that your container is using the correct db driver to talk to database? mysql vs postgres?

yes, I am using MySQL from the dropdown, then using all the data posted before.

I once again tested and I can access the freshrss database from user freshrss.

I honestly don't know what to to or what to test :S

yes, I am using MySQL from the dropdown, then using all the data posted before.

I once again tested and I can access the freshrss database from user freshrss.

I honestly don't know what to to or what to test :S
yes but thats using the web ui. What about RSS container environment variables?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.