From Synology to Docker

Currently reading
From Synology to Docker

Now this makes me curious :)
Did you upload docker-compose.yml or did you use the web editor?

So this problem is history then?
web editor still doesn’t work for me for some compose files regardless of the version parameter

Last edited:
But still.. at least it's not completly broken anymore.
I just launched a 3.7 compose config from the web editor.

Portainer must have fixed in on their side.. since the docker package did not receive any updates since then. I still have the good old 0513 installed where stack creation failed in the past.

Oh, there is a new version since 28th december 20: Synology Archive Download Site - Index of /download/Package/Docker/18.09.0-0515

Did you upload docker-compose.yml or did you use the web editor?
I used the upload method since I had tried and validated my compose.yml files from command line but I wanted to be able to manage everything (almost) through portainer instead of the CLI

Did you try to run the container with user: ${UID}:${PID}? This declaration allows Docker to replace the id's for the first declared USER, which is USER 1000:1000 for drakkan/sftpgo. Though, the original declaration already has id's instead of a username:groupname, so I am not 100% certain the `user:` declaration realy works with this image.

Hmm, SFTP behind a reverse proxy? Afaik SFTP piggy backs on SSH, while FTPS would be SSL/TLS wrapped FTP. The fist one should be ideal for containers, as it only needs a single port, while the later would require a a controll port and a huge range for the passv data ports, which would realy suck with containers. Glad you found a solution!

Congratz for managing your endeavor so well so far :)
@one-eyed-king
Thought I'd revisit this.
Running with:
Code:
environment:
#      - SFTPGO_PUID=${USERID}
#      - SFTPGO_PGID=${USERGROUP}
      - SFTPGO_HTTPD__BINDINGS__0__PORT=8090
      - USER=${USERID}:${USERGROUP}
Still returns:
Code:
sftpgo@23914c8c9ba2:~$ id
uid=1000(sftpgo) gid=1000(sftpgo) groups=1000(sftpgo)
Here was the issue thread I found which caused me to follow the steps I did to create my own local version (It's also where the other 2 environmental variables came from as well):
Code:
https://github.com/drakkan/sftpgo/issues/217
However when I use the console on the container I don't have permission to access my files. :(

Uhm, user: is actualy a sibling element to environment, image,.... This is a docker specific configuration, which applies for all images using the USER directive.

Or does the image specificly define the env USER to declare the UID/GID? This must be implemented in the entrypoint script of the image to actualy have any effect. Also, I assume you declared USERID und USERGROUP in your .env file?

Last edited:
@one-eyed-king Yes, USERID and USERGROUP are in my .env
So it should be:
Code:
  environment:
    - SFTPGO_HTTPD__BINDINGS__0__PORT=8090
  USER:
    ${USERID}:${USERGROUP}
:D

Which appears to have worked!

Thank you!

Sadly PhotoStructure is single user currently.
Sure about that? There are both server and individual-PC versions. The server version appears to reference home directories, which I take to mean multiple users.
It's still in beta. When final is released they plan to have both free and subscription "service levels".
I decided to hold off on evaluating PhotoStructure until that final release. No point in putting time into it until I know what service level supports what I need to do - and whether I want to pay that much.
That said, it's not really a replacement for Photo Station, although it seems to be able to do everything Photo Station can do. It's more a digital asset manager (AKA a 'DAM') - something that helps you track all your 'digital assets' (for me, those are mostly photos), ties in with post processing tools.
One interesting part is that they've come up with a portable container that can be moved from one platform to another (e.g. an external drive on a Win/Lin box can be moved to a Mac - PhotoStructure running on the new box just needs to be told where that storage is).
But... I'm actually at least somewhat in the market for a DAM (tens of thousands of photos from quite a few years). You might not be.
In the meantime, I set up something minimal called PhotoShow, which can turn folders of photos into a web show. It's abandonware, but it does that minimal bit that I've been using Photo Show (also abandonware) for. I think I posted a "PhotoShow 101' using docker-compose, so I won't put that here...

Code:
sudo curl -L "https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/1.28.2/docker-compose-$(uname -s)-$(uname -m)" -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
Is there any way to get this to pull the latest version when run? I did try:
Code:
sudo curl -L "https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/latest/docker-compose-$(uname -s)-$(uname -m)" -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
but that fails.

Like this?
Code:
version=$(curl -s https://api.github.com/repos/docker/compose/releases/latest | grep -oP '"tag_name": "\K(.*)(?=")')
sudo curl -L "https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/${version}/docker-compose-$(uname -s)-$(uname -m)" -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose

Seems like this time we have the other way arround :)

My suggestion works on a Syno ootb. Yours requires jq to be downloaded and dropped into the path in order to work.
I would favor the jq one anytime over the grep perl lookahead one on a real linux distro

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.