Geolocation text

Currently reading
Geolocation text

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi
Anyone know how to edit the text location provided against the image latitude/longitude coordinates. I have several photos where the general area is correct but could be fine-tuned a little more. For example "Smithtown" and "Smithtown Junction" are both listed against one photo. I would like to delete one of them or in some cases, rename them.
Thanks

Thats possible through an EXIF editor. Search for any editor or compare those by alternativeto.net and select one.

Upvote 0
Thanks Saqr but not quite meeting the need! EXIF editors such as EXIF Pilot allows latitude/longitude values to be added or modified in the EXIF data for a photo but in Synology Photo these coordinates have been converted to a text string. I want to edit this text string.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Try have a look at ExifTool - it can modify a lot of EXIF tags. If needed, combine it with a scripted call to reverse geocoding lookup service, and you may even be able to automate some of the updates. ExifTool is available on Windows, as well as a Perl based package (at least for DSM 6.x)

Upvote 0
Thanks Ragnarok
Please refer to my last response. Synology Photos is assigning text data to correspond with the Lat/Long coordinates from the photo. I would like to edit this text. From what I see, the text string is "close" but contains some additional place names so confusing and not very accurate. So where does the conversion of <lat/long> references to <location text description> originate and can it be edited?

Upvote 0
If you are asking how to GPS/location data edit in Synology Photos so it meets your requirement, I don't think it is possible. You can raise a feature request at Feature Inquiry | Synology Inc. .

Modifying location tags in general, regardless how Synology Photos uses it, will need a third party application. I use a combination of NX Studio, Affinity Photo, and GraphicConverter all on Mac. GC is my preference for a GUI app, though I have used ExifTool on the command line to modify other tags and filenames.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back