Get DS1819+, wait for 1821+ or another option?

Currently reading
Get DS1819+, wait for 1821+ or another option?

NAS
DS413+, DS1813+, DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I want to set up a single NAS that supports:
- 6 or 8 bays (want SHR2)
- ECC memory
- video files (55-60TB) that will be streamed to 2 devices
- a photo archive (8TB)
- automatic backups for an iOS phone, an android phone and 4 PCs
- remote access to general files
- a Windows VM or two.

There won‘t be heavy network demand (just a few light users)

I am leaning toward an 8 bay device rather than one with fewer bays and an expansion unit.

I have an existing 1813+ that I haven’t really used with 5x 4TB In it. I have a new DS920+. I have new drives (5x 12TB, 2x 10TB, 4x 8TB)

Since the 920+ doesn’t support ECC memory I’m hesitant to put photos on it (originally got 920+ to replace 413+), i was thinking of getting a new 8 bay NAS instead which means 1819+ or wait for the 1821+

a couple of questions:
1) With the needs described above does it make sense to wait and see what the 1821+ will bring or is it unlikely to make a significant difference over the 1819+ for my use?
2) I was thinking of using the 1813+ to set up my video volume now with the 5 12TB drives and add the other items after I have the new NAS (assuming I could just move the drives from the 1813+ to the new one). Does this make sense or should I just wait until I have the new NAS?
3) The ECC memory issue aside, am I correct that the DS920+ and a DX517 would not be a good option over an 1819+ or newer?

i am tech savvy but don’t know a lot about Synology and haven’t really done much with DSM.

Any guidance/advice would be appreciated.

Would recommend to look into DS1621xs+ if ECC is a must or the upcoming 1621+ (not the xs) that is yet to come. Both of those are/will be a 6bay models. There are no info on a potential 8 or 12 bay desktop model as of yet.

If you need it now, get it now, not like you will change it any time soon even if you get the 1819 model, but that's just me.

I was looking at the DS1621xs+ but it doesn’t support SHR/SHR2 which I would like for flexibility. Also, a 6 bay probably won’t allow for enough storage if I use SHR2

I was looking at the DS1621xs+ but it doesn’t support SHR/SHR2 which I would like for flexibility. Also, a 6 bay probably won’t allow for enough storage if I use SHR2

Yes - I've never understood why the XS/XS+ series do not support SHR/SHR2 since this means that the more premium/Enterprise units actually support less internal storage flexibility than the value/+ series. I understand that enterprises may wish to use standard RAID levels - Fine, so Synology should just default the storage RAID level to one of the standard RAID levels for the XS/XS+ units but at least still give us the option to select SHR/SHR+!

I've raised SHR/SHR2 support in the XS/XS+ family as a feature request a couple of times but I never get a satisfactory answer...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.