Synology Blog Get time-tested reliability with authentic Synology memory modules

Currently reading
Synology Blog Get time-tested reliability with authentic Synology memory modules

Compatibility makes all the difference System memory is used by practically everything on a device with compute capabilities. For a NAS, it is responsible for not only allowing the processor to run core services, additional packages, or even other operating systems via virtualization but also caching the data that is being accessed. System memory provides a small but […]

Continue reading...
- - -
Source: blog.synology.com

I can understand why Synology say this as it gives them some control of the components that get added to the upgraded appliance, and it reduces the amount of testing that is needed. However, I've been using Crucial RAM modules for coming up 20 years and have never had any issues with any of them.

Back when there was talk of Mac's being very finicky about RAM modules there was always good reports on the performance and compatibility of Crucial. Being the commercial arm of Micron they are selling their own product not rebadging stock from various places.

I've had a 4GB Crucial module in my DS218+ for the past 18 months and had no issues ... DSM upgrade issues, yep had those thanks to Syno. :ROFLMAO: but not from Crucial.

here is the one and only fact defined by Synology in this article:
"According to our stats, there are around 50 inquiries per year regarding non-authentic Synology memory modules, including boot failures, system hangs, storage volume crashes, or even data loss. "

a consideration:
- 50 inquiries from what total sold of NASes in world wide scale? When the 50 means >5% from total it is reasonable consideration. But when it is about 0.00005% from total, it is peanut :cool: . It is better to open KB from Syno from the inquiries testing results - what RAM modules caused what.

- how exactly do they know that the Non-validated memory usage caused - stability and corruption issues, some resulting in RAID volume degradation and crashes on devices, including boot failures, system hangs, storage volume crashes, or even data loss. I'm asking, because 10% (or more) of members in this forum have more experiences with Syno HW/SW operation than Syno technical support - based on their quality responses or deduction approach = reason, why we are here.

Data, data, data ... otherwise it is just a dream of some person in Syno sales dept. to increase sales income from Syno RAM modules.

Oh my ... a puff piece ... Even the "community" is free of this propaganda... Why here?
Because it in an automated RSS news feed. Also, if you said you put in non-Synology RAM (contrary to warranty) at 'the other place' then they have more details about who you are and even if you swap it out for a problem ... they still could know.

Also, at 'the other place' they take down links that can be helpful because it "violates that forum's marketing and selling rules". Sheeesh!

then they have more details about who you are and even if you swap it out for a problem ... they still could know.
If true... they are better at using the community "search" bar than I am. I can never find what I need, even if it's in my own posts 🤣

Now don't infer from this post that I would ever use unsanctioned memory...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.