Getting VPN Server/Plus to work through the GFW

Currently reading
Getting VPN Server/Plus to work through the GFW

NAS
DS2415+
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has their VPN Server/Plus working for access from China through the GFW.
Previously VPN Server - OpenVPN used to work but I guess the DPI is better now and OpenVPN packets end up getting dropped after a connection is established these days.

I dont have SRM to try VPN Plus SSL-VPN to see if that will work through the GFW

Running on TCP myself on a custom port. Not from China tbh but just saying maybe you could try and swap it on TCP on a common port and bypass it that way. UDP 1194 is a definition of VPN port... so maybe masking it away from common setting will let you pass.

Running on TCP myself on a custom port. Not from China tbh but just saying maybe you could try and swap it on TCP on a common port and bypass it that way. UDP 1194 is a definition of VPN port... so maybe masking it away from common setting will let you pass.

Im actually running UDP on a custom port. I'll try TCP on my next trip over to China. Im not convinced it will work though. There are a number of articles online from other VPN providers about GFW DPI techniques used to filter out VPN packets (both UDP and TCP). Unfortunately there is no article on any solution via VPN Server/Plus. That is why Im asking here. In case there is a Syno user that has already figured this out.

One of the methods used to bypass the GFW was obfuscation... which Synology VPN Server does not support.
Apparently SSL-VPN might be able to get through the DPI process in the GFW but its a big maybe. OpenVPN is supposed to be SSL--VPN based however it doesnt seem to work anymore. I would like to give SRM VPN Plus SSL-VPN a go but i dont have a Syno router currently....

Synology tech support is less than enthusiastic to assist in this area .. i presume because of legal/political implications from the mainland to the island.

would like to give SRM VPN Plus SSL-VPN a go but i dont have a Syno router currently....
I was thinking the same. You might need something more dedicated for this. Never been to China so I don’t know much. But maybe something even more capable than a Synology router.

On a different note. I have installed a SSD in my 118 and the size and weight are unbelievably small and light, to the point where you can put this in your cabin carry on very easily. Just an idea if it’s applicable. Travel with the NAS back and forth :)

I was thinking the same. You might need something more dedicated for this. Never been to China so I don’t know much. But maybe something even more capable than a Synology router.

On a different note. I have installed a SSD in my 118 and the size and weight are unbelievably small and light, to the point where you can put this in your cabin carry on very easily. Just an idea if it’s applicable. Travel with the NAS back and forth :)

thinking out of the box! :p
why VPN to your box overseas when you can bring it along. hah! (y)(y)

its all good until you need to access the data while on the move unfortunately. :eek:
interim i guess ill be doing something akin to carrying a smaller DS with me on travels.... need to find a better solution though. sigh

its all good until you need to access the data while on the move
No problem. Keep a DS stationary and get the small DS and keep the stuff you need in sync. Comes time to travel, shutdown and pack the small one. On the move access the stationary one. Behind the wall, set up the small DS. Fly back and it’ll sync.

See. You’ve got to work with what you have under your control. Forget what you can’t control :D

its all good until you need to access the data while on the move unfortunately. :eek:

I use Cloud Sync to copy everything up to OneDrive - if I can't access the NAS (like while I'm at work) I can still get to OneDrive (although their may be potential privacy issues when in China I guess)

No problem. Keep a DS stationary and get the small DS and keep the stuff you need in sync. Comes time to travel, shutdown and pack the small one. On the move access the stationary one. Behind the wall, set up the small DS. Fly back and it’ll sync.

See. You’ve got to work with what you have under your control. Forget what you can’t control :D

looks like the only viable option....

Last edited:
Guys, get lost here. interesting topic.
I am wondering how to setup in NAS a VPN server, say one NAS is in US one is EU, e.g. I would like to access Pandora Radio(US) from EU, or setup a private server(NAS) in China?
(PS: wrt. the bans or legality concerns, maybe could we hide this topic in forum list? ) e.g. only for participants invited?

Should I better open a new thread?

Hi @dapr0digy

I remembered this and searched for it to follow up on the topic since I’ve enabled the VPN server on my DS.

Did you try OpenVPN?

One of the advantages of OpenVPN is that you can choose any port for the protocol and that it only needs one port.

So you might want to try TCP 443 and see if you can slip through. It might not be that easy with such a firewall as they might be “dissecting” the packets to further examine them with some very powerful voodoo firewalls.

But it won’t hurt if you try.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.