Gmail OAuth refresh token error - but why does this keep recurring?

Currently reading
Gmail OAuth refresh token error - but why does this keep recurring?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Once or twice a day I'm getting the following error message: Gmail OAuth refresh token error. Please go to Notification for information on how to resolve this issue.

I can reset my gmail by going to Notifications, waiting a minute or so then re-entering my gmail email address, signing out then signing in and allowing gmail to proceed. What I don't understand is why this is happening. Any ideas?

Once or twice a day I'm getting the following error message: Gmail OAuth refresh token error. Please go to Notification for information on how to resolve this issue.

I can reset my gmail by going to Notifications, waiting a minute or so then re-entering my gmail email address, signing out then signing in and allowing gmail to proceed. What I don't understand is why this is happening. Any ideas?

Info on your setup, What device? DSM version?

Hi and thanks for your response. I am using a DS1621+ with 5 x 8TB drives set for dual disk RAID. DSM 7.0.1-42218 update 3 with an iMac operating with MacOS 12.3.1 and 64GB of RAM.

I actually posted this request six months ago. I didn't get any responses then and found the simplest 'solution' then was to not set up my gmail account. I'll reset my Gmail account for the NAS/DSM and see if I'm still getting the same issue. Many thanks for your help.

Hi and thanks for your response. I am using a DS1621+ with 5 x 8TB drives set for dual disk RAID. DSM 7.0.1-42218 update 3 with an iMac operating with MacOS 12.3.1 and 64GB of RAM.

I actually posted this request six months ago. I didn't get any responses then and found the simplest 'solution' then was to not set up my gmail account. I'll reset my Gmail account for the NAS/DSM and see if I'm still getting the same issue. Many thanks for your help.

I have been using gmail since the start of time and do not have any recurring issues. I think I can vaguely remember a time, where I was receiving an auth error but I think that was because google made a change.

Are you using your gmail password as the credential? Or are you using app passwords? I have 2fa turned on and I generate app passwords for services like these.

Hi and thanks for coming back to me. I'm using my basic gmail password. Since I set it bak on this morning I've had no error messages (just the usual security ones from Google). I usually use 1password for my app passwords. What is 2fa?

Regards, R

Of course - thank you. So far the Gmail things seems to be fixed - fingers crossed. Many thanks for your help.

Hi and thanks for coming back to me. I'm using my basic gmail password. Since I set it bak on this morning I've had no error messages (just the usual security ones from Google). I usually use 1password for my app passwords. What is 2fa?

Regards, R
Hi,
What did you "set back"? I have been having this OAuth issue on all my Synology product for a month now.

I too am having the same issue - I've reset/disabled email notifications, and now when I reauthenticate to re-enable, it doesn't error out, but it also doesn't save the notification enablement.

Anyone?

Last edited:
That's right, there was a change in Auth from Google, mostly due to support of 2FA and other things and of course, Synology did not react in time.

The workaround is to use a "Custom SMTP Server". But make sure you don't do this to your main google account, as this makes it insecure (without 2FA).
In the Control panel => Notification => Email:
  1. Re-enable your email notifications/Sign out of Gmail
  2. Service provider: Custom SMTP Server
  3. SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
  4. SMTP Port: 465
  5. Authentication required: Yes
  6. Username: Your Gmail username ([email protected])
  7. Password: Use an App Password which you have to create at myaccount.google.com. More on this here.
  8. Secure connection required: Yes
  9. Click Apply and you can also send a test email.

The workaround is
Please no. If you must use this workaround (which, by the way, Google does not recommend), create a disposable Gmail account (or use another email provider) to avoid potential security issues with your Google account.

PS: If you must use such a process, follow the original posting from Google, not a "copy/paste" from a forum post or someone's blog (no offense to the poster here, this is just sane security practice).

Please no. If you must use this workaround (which, by the way, Google does not recommend), create a disposable Gmail account (or use another email provider) to avoid potential security issues with your Google account.

PS: If you must use such a process, follow the original posting from Google, not a "copy/paste" from a forum post or someone's blog (no offense to the poster here, this is just sane security practice).
I probably needed to make the disclaimer more prominent. My bad, will update the post.

Also, i did not copy this from anywhere, just tried it myself and it worked. I've just copied the content of the page and also linked the same link as you did.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.