Currently reading
Question Good bittorrent client?

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
I've been using DownloadStation for many years now on my Synology but the thing that bothers me is the "temporary location"-stuff. I can't see files while downloading them (without using Putty or similar anyway).
So, what are people using, anything else? I've checked out the standalone Transmission-package but it lacks some seeding-settings (can't seed for XX amount of hours for example). There's something called RuTorrent (or was it RTorrent?) but it doesn't seem to be available for my DS918+.
So I'm looking for hints here, any other package I should try (that comes with an UI).?

Thanks btw for this awesome forum. Can't believe how Synology destroyed theirs..

Good to have you with us @oRBIT!

I would recommend rutorrent for example as well as deluge. Run them in Docker. They work like a charm. Deluge has lots of options and custom script features. I'm a Usenet user myself but have had some experience with these two.

Last edited:
I think Docker is too advanced stuff for me, last time I tried anyway :)
Shouldn't Synology end support for Docker btw? Perhaps I'm mistaken...

I think Docker is too advanced stuff for me, last time I tried anyway :)
Shouldn't Synology end support for Docker btw? Perhaps I'm mistaken...
Just for DSM inside Docker, DDSM, Docker itself will continue forward.

If you need a hand we can help out. Deluge is a quick setup.

I tried installed RuTorrent using a guide found online.. It installed, but I can't get connectable (it won't save my port settings when i try) or have no idea how to configure a "auto download torrents from this folder". Feels a bit dangerous configuring stuff when you don't have full knowledge on what's going on. :)

So the alternatives that doesn't include Docker are quite few... :/
I will be willing to help you get started with Deluge. We can do a remote session if you are open to it (depending on your time zone). PM me if you are interested.

It would be a shame not to get started with Docker. It's very useful, popular and by the looks of it, a way to go forward. 3rd party synocommunity is dying, so something to think about.

Last edited:
The thing that frightens me with Docker is all the parameterstuff that feels a bit like the 70's or something. It's obviously not something for the beginners. Somekind of guide (for idiots, like me in this case) would be good.

I checked the Deluge-docker-package, Docker Hub, but how do I configure the downloadfolder? The helppage says "-v /downloads " but this is not a regular environmentvariable? That page obviously assumes you've got Docker-knowledge but if you've got close to none, it's really a mess..

So how would you do this you just explain within Docker in DSM?
Under Volume section in Docker (DSM). Thats the place where you map your local folders with your container folders.

For example, the left side is your local folder destination, and right-hand side is a container folder:

Screenshot 2019-11-17 at 12.18.01.png

It would be awesome to understand all this but everywhere I click there's always questions rising so I'll stay out of this until I find some kind of guide that's adapted for newbies.

I'll stay out of this until I find some kind of guide that's adapted for newbies.

I don't think that will ever quite happen. Start with a simple docker and just try it out. The torrent dockers are among the easier. You can't really hurt the NAS. If things go sideways, delete the container and try again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.