google drive synchronization

Currently reading
google drive synchronization

I noticed that Cloud Sync doesn't convert the google files (docs, spreadsheets..) created using the google web UI. Is there a way to do it? Should I use another tool to sync them?

@jeyare I have the following settings:

Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 22.10.41.png

but i only get ".gdoc", the file is not converted to ".doc" like it is when you download them directly.

yeap, better clarification of your concern
So:
with Sync tool you just sync (rsync) your files and folders between two storage environments, in this case between NAS and Google Drive (single or two way).
There isn’t any conversion included.

But there is a workaround how to do it in my everyday's case (I have G-suite):

1. Deploy Google Drive File Stream:
With Drive File Stream, you stream your Drive files directly from the cloud to your Mac or PC, freeing up disk space and network bandwidth. Because Drive files are stored in the cloud, any changes you or your collaborators make are automatically updated everywhere. You’ll always have the latest version.
You can use Drive File Stream on these operating systems:
Windows: Windows 7 and up. Windows Server 2012 and up.
Mac: El Capitan (10.11) and up. For High Sierra (10.13) or newer, follow these steps.

Supported browsers:
Chrome
Firefox
Windows only: Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge
Mac only: Safari

Conclusion:
With this feature you can open/edit/save any original Google docs synced by NAS to your local computer without necessary conversion. OFC you can convert all doc to Office format.

This test was prepared for your better understanding from my W8.1 environment, same is in W10, then same must be in MacOS:
1578044876093.png

Oh, I’m getting older
with this installed Google pack you can get missed feature - how to open original Google docs by your browser from EVERY kind of Local or Mapped disk sources (e.g. NAS). Not just from mapped Google drive.

hrm ok not sure i can convert a normal google drive to gsuite to have streams but i will check. this one of the reason i want to ditch that google thing anyway :)

I need it for my customers "touch", because some of them still use Google as preferred share (don't ask me why). But still better than MS OneDrive. It's terrible to synchronize over 2 different OneDrive stages into Syno Drive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.