GPO ADMX Templates

NAS
DS716+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
This question was asked once in August of 2018 on the Synology forums, but there was no answer. I am using the RSAT tools successfully with the Synology Active Directory server, however I can not find the central store location for the GPO ADMX templates. RSAT shows the forest tree as Windows Server 2008 R2. That usually means the ADMX templates reside in a policy folder within the SYSVOL folder. However, that folder does not exist within SYSVOL. Are these templates stored in a different location, or would it work for my to create the policies folder?

So, you can't access the following path on your Synology running Synology Directory Server?

\\<syno-name>\sysvol\<domain>\Policies\PolicyDefinitions,
e.g. in my case: \\donau\sysvol\ourhome.local\Policies\PolicyDefinitions

Guess, instead of syno-name, the IP-address of your Syno would work, too.

This looks like
gpo.png

Windows 10 ADMX build 1909, download: Download Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 November 2019 Update (1909) from Official Microsoft Download Center

You will get a .msi installation file which you should run on you local Windows machine and copy the necessary files AND language packs from e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows 10 November 2019 Update (1909)\PolicyDefinitions\ to the above mentioned path on your Synology.

Please choose the correct folder(s) with the language files, too and copy them (including the folder name(s), see hardcopy above) to your Syno, too.

To be sure, you could backup the SYSVOL folder before overwriting the files with new ones.

Usually, I uninstall those files from my local machine afterwards, by starting the installer again and choose "remove".

PS: if you need additionally ADMX files for e.g. Office (20xx), too, you have to add some more files and language packs.

HTH,
Michael

Policy Search Engine: Group Policy Search

late but hopefully still helpful:

Create a Shared Folder "PolicyDefinitions"
(set correct permissions to be able to copy files in here)
copy contents of downloaded/extracted "PolicyDefinitions" Folder to the shared folder
on the DS create a task the copies the shared "PolicyDefinitions" folder to the Directory Server for Windows Domains folder

cp -avr /volume1/PolicyDefinitions/ /volume1/@appdata/DirectoryServerForWindowsDomain/private/sysvol/<your domain name>/Policies/

HELP - Administrative templates GONE MISSING - Synology Directory Server / RSAT Tools

We had everything working great, and I even made modifications to windows update policies, and I'm not sure what happened, but somehow we now have NOTHING (except "All settings") showing up under the Group Policy Management editor (using RSAT tools on Win10). The only thing I was in the process of doing was trying to download newer 22H1 templates so we could block windows 11 from installing, and somewhere in the process everything got broken and now NOTHING shows up.

I'm not sure if things got messed up earlier (are the adml files supposed to be in the "PolicyDefinitions" folder, or the root "Policies" folder, and for new templates, is the admx file required as long as we know we have the correct language)?

The most important thing right now is just getting back the basic templates (they just don't show up under Administrative Templates, it's just empty). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

screenshot_admin_templates_missing_domain.jpg

Screenshot of policies store for domain is below:
screenshot_policies_store_domain.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back