Great problem with syncing nas calendar/macbook/android

Currently reading
Great problem with syncing nas calendar/macbook/android

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi everyone.
For a year now I’ve discontinued every google app (mail, mdr, photos and all) to pass everything on my synology nas.
I installed among other things the calendar application (caldav server), after a bit of testing to understand the ports I was able to synchronize the calendar on the nas with the calendar of my macbook and my android phone (via davx5, which i payed 5€).
Everything worked perfectly until a couple of weeks ago, using https://myserver.synology.me:50007/caldav/utent/ as the address.

Now I have serious syncing problems. The events that I enter (both from PC and smartphone) are found on the caldav server (entering through the dedicated gui), but not on the other device (in other words, if I enter an event on the calendar from mac, I see it on mac and on the server but not on android… if I enter it from android, I see it on android, on the server but not on mac…but every event is correctly on nas calendar).
I really tried everything and every kind of apps.
I don’t think it’s a port problem, since both davx5 and the calendar on mac access it correctly, and since the events I enter are actually seen on the server. I don’t understand what could have happened and I’m going crazy (I’ve tried using different calendar apps on both android and mac…but no difference). It’s like in “write” it works but in “read” it doesn’t.
I use Huawei Mate 20 pro and make all for not having problems with battery optimization, it works in backgroud and everything…

What could have happened, given that everything worked until a few weeks ago and I haven’t changed anything?
I use it heavily for my work and I’m having serious problems.

Someone in other forum told me that maybe was a problem of e-tag of event, but i cant understand how to try&solve.

In the hope that someone can give me some advice!

Me too hadn't had single problem....but in the last weeks it seems all crashed (syncing...because on the server all events are correctly in)

Did you try restarting your NAS?
yes.

Now i tried:
1) installing 2 different app on my android phone: acal and original huawei cal. i connected both to my caldav server on nas, using "https://mynas.synology.me:50007/caldav.php/username" where on my router i forward any call 8008 and 8443 to my nas. Result: if i add an event on ACAL, in some seconds i can see it on huawei cal....and viceversa. Also if i cancel an event on one of the 2 apps, i can see in the other the events cancelled....
2) installing 2 different calendar app on my macbook - Fantastical and the original apple calendar. I connected both to my caldav server as the android app, same address. If i add an event on fantastical, after some minutes, i can see it on apple calendar and viceversa.
3)what i insert on my mobile, i cant see on macbook and viceversa.
4) what i insert on mobile or on macbook , i can see on nas web calendar!! On nas calendar everything is allright! but it seems that local app (on mobile or macbook) can write but not correcly read from server

I'm not sure about those ports.

According to the knowledge base, Synology Calendar uses 5000 (HTTP), 5001 (HTTPS), 38008, 38443 (CalDAV)
8008 and 8443 are for CardDAV.

What I did:
Forwarded 38443 on the router to the DiskStation
When defining the URL on the clients, it looks like this:
https://mynas.synology.me:38443/caldav.php/username/

For iOS, I'm using Fantastical. Whatever you add will go through the native calendar. So Fantastical relies on the native Apple calendar for sync operations (I believe any other iOS calendar app will behave the same way). You can focus on using the native calendar for troubleshooting.

Last edited:
i think i have some problems with ports....
I use a zyxel home&life hub as fiber modem. It is 192.168.1.1. wifi off, everything off, only 1 lan connection.
Then i have a Netgear Orbi system, which is connected by lan cable. It is 192.168.1.xx for zyxel.
I configured to forward every port from 1 to 65535 from zyxel to netgear, which is the router i use at home.
Home lan is now 192.168.0.xxx, in which i have orbi router and so many many many devices at home (wifi).

As in Zyxel modem i forward everything to netgear orbi, i filtered and forwarded to my nas (which is something like 192.168.0.xxx) on netgear port for caldav, carddav, plex and other application that i use outside home.
For CardDav and caldav i forward to nas 8008 and 8443 ports.

I dont know why but if i want to access to my nas outside home lan, using synology ddns, i have to write "https://mynas.synology.me:50007" ... but that port i dont remember where is selected and i cant find where i open this port.
When i go to calendar and open/see caldav account, it is: "https://mynas.synology.me:50007/caldav/user" and i cant understand why only with this port it opens. Then also in calendar, it didnt write "https://mynas.synology.me:50007/caldav.php/user" but only ""https://mynas.synology.me:50007/caldav/user""

Why 50007? on my orbi, only 8008 and 8443 are forwarded to nas....
-- post merged: --

i cant understand also why, when i add my caldav account on my android device through davx5, i open my native calendar app --> accounts --> i see only 1 calendar (my daughter name) and not the working one ... but in the facts they are visible....with previous davx5 app i could decide to see both or only one...now i can see only one to on/off...but in the facts they are both in one selection, not so intelligent..

Why 50007? on my orbi, only 8008 and 8443 are forwarded to nas....

50007 could be your DSM port. Check Control Panel > Network > DSM settings. Is that what you have there?
How? I don’t know. Must be a configuration somewhere.

Your routers setup (one behind the other) is called double NATing.

If we accept to work with the setup as is (so not to rock the boat by changing the status quo), then we need to pass the traffic to port 38443 on your NAS by adjusting the configuration on both routers.
The outer router (the one connected to the internet) should forward 38443 to the internal router and your internal router forwards it to your NAS. You said that this is how it's setup right now. Use a port scanner to verify.

Check if 38443 is accessible. For comparison, check 50007 too.

Keep in mind that you might need to turn off the firewall to use the port scanner (depends on how you configured the firewall actually, but turn it off briefly for all your tests).

50007 could be your DSM port. Check Control Panel > Network > DSM settings. Is that what you have there?
How? I don’t know. Must be a configuration somewhere.

Your routers setup (one behind the other) is called double NATing.

If we accept to work with the setup as is (so not to rock the boat by changing the status quo), then we need to pass the traffic to port 38443 on your NAS by adjusting the configuration on both routers.
The outer router (the one connected to the internet) should forward 38443 to the internal router and your internal router forwards it to your NAS. You said that this is how it's setup right now. Use a port scanner to verify.

Check if 38443 is accessible. For comparison, check 50007 too.

Keep in mind that you might need to turn off the firewall to use the port scanner (depends on how you configured the firewall actually, but turn it off briefly for all your tests).
I cant understand the 50007 port for dsm outdoor access (and the same port for caldav)....nowhere is the 50007 in dsm configuration! I reset lot of configuration...and now 50007 dont work....and work only 50598 !!! i discovered this port connecting with quickconnect.to....otherwise that port is never written ....

I make some mod and now....i cant understand nothing!
I tried to forward ALL PORTS from 1st router (ISP one, connected to internet) to 2nd router (orbi, that is the one i use)...then on 2nd router i opened ONLY some ports (as 5001 to nas....or 38443 to nas....but not 50598!!
If i try with port scanner...no one is open but only 50598 (that in my orbi isnt open!)

Same problems with caldav...just changed port....

It was disabled, now enabled and...no changes.
I found also in DS control panel where i can direct to a specific port Calendar and opened in the "router section" on ds menu (i cant remember, i did it last night :) ).
Now my calendar open at 20003 port correctly from web https://mynas.synology.me:20003
I changed every calendar app with this port (2 different app on my android phone, 2 different app on my macbook)...every time problems, the same.
It seems that there is problem with syncing, but every app can write on calendar....im going mad!

I tried also to bypass: i connected my nas calendar to another online calendar (fastmail) which is caldav....and than the fastmail calendar with every app....from fastmail to apps, PERFECT! there is a push syncing, so really perfect.
But....from fastmail to nas and viceversa...same looong time of syncing and not all was synced!

So its clear that the problem is double nat (but every access is working, so i think that ports are correctly working too) and something in calendar server....i really dont kwow how to do.

You're throwing things at the wall and hoping that something will stick. The odds are against you with a double NAT 😐

Toubleshoot by breaking the problem and focusing on one thing at a time.

Take the double NAT out of the equation. Establish that calendar syncing is working internally. Test internally using your inner router and/or switch only. Use IP addresses for the clients (calendars). I don't know much about Android and what clients it uses, but I know that the iOS calendar is working fine. Work on that with the Mac –or another iOS device– first. Use the native calendars.

Once you've got it working internally (using IP addresses), you can move to fixing it remotely (where both routers become involved). Now you'll be changing your clients to use your FQDN and ports instead of IP addresses.
If you face any problems now, it'll be something to do with the routers and not the syncing operation. Most likely at that stage, it'll be port/firewall issues. Test reachability with port scanners.
If you've configured direct access (DDNS) and it's working properly, then disable QuickConnect for your testing (if it's enabled).

When it works remotely, move back to your LAN (WiFi) and start testing with you FQDN configured. It'll be NAT loopback/internal DNS issues here.

The other option (if possible) is to remove one router and reconfigure the whole network, but you might encounter major changes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.