Currently reading
hard drive noise question

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Just migrated a while ago, "not smoothly," and one drive is making a grinding noise about every 5 to fifteen minutes. Not sure which on.e

I ran smart/ironwolf test and drive 3 showed a smart test Ultra_DMA_CRC_error_count of 1, but it's saying normal on the menu.

I saw a deal on Amazon for a 16tb CMR/7200rpm iron wolf pro for $299 which is coming today. Figured I can hold it as a spare and couldn't let it go at that price!

I did have an instance a while ago when the power cord got pulled accidentally, which a tech said could have cause the instance! Any thoughts appreciated! TIA

SMART id199 - UDMA_CRC_ERROR of 1 is nothing to worry about. This indicates that a corrupted packet of data was received by the sata controller; this will have simply been resent by the drive. UDMA_CRC errors usually suggest an issue with the cabling / connection between drive and mainboard, and they can also arise due to power glitches which is what sound like happened in your case.

The 'grinding' noise is hard to diagnose remotely. Many users who have grown up with phones & SSDs seem to get unduly worried by the noises a regular and functioning HDD makes, probably because they're not used to them. I don't know if this apples to you but is something that seems to crop up nowadays on tech forums. The only sure way to know for yourself is to get used to the sound that HDDs make normally; you'll soon know whether a noise is indicative of a problem or not.

If the rest of the SMART data is fine, then in all likelihood the noise is not something to be concerned about.

I know what you mean as to growing up with SSDs' and phones. Although I'm 65 and have been into pc's since the trs-80. The noise just threw me for a loop as you'd think they'd solve that by now. I swear, someone out there needs to write a dummies guide to smart parameters.
Thank you, Fortran!

I know what you mean as to growing up with SSDs' and phones. Although I'm 65 and have been into pc's since the trs-80. The noise just threw me for a loop as you'd think they'd solve that by now. I swear, someone out there needs to write a dummies guide to smart parameters.
Thank you, Fortran!
Haha - your TRS-80 even predates my Acorn Atom, I think...! Ok, sounds like we're both of a, err, refined vintage that means we're able to remember what a HDD should sound like...nevertheless, if your SMART data is otherwise ok I think your drive is probably acting normally :LOL:

We vintage guys need to stick together!

I hope they pack these drives sufficiently. just saw the amazon guy drop the new one twice!

Haha - your TRS-80 even predates my Acorn Atom, I think...! Ok, sounds like we're both of a, err, refined vintage that means we're able to remember what a HDD should sound like...nevertheless, if your SMART data is otherwise ok I think your drive is probably acting normally :LOL:
Lucky enough to catch a short clip of it. edited out the other stuff hard drive noise.mp3

just ran a quick smart test and there's no change from before. the Ultra_DMA_CRC_error_count of 1 still there. Am including a copy below of today's quick test. BTW, why doesn't the iron wolf test include an output?

Attachments

• smart 090422.JPG
    smart 090422.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 17

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.