NAS
1821+, 1815+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hey all

I am quickly running out of space on my 1815+ which is currently filled with a mix of 4TB drives which are all just over 5 years of power on time so I am looking to upgrade all of these to 6TB drives, I have been offered a good price on some enterprise Seagate drives. either the:
  • ST6000NM0275
  • ST6000NM0024
The ST6000NM0275 looks like it s SED (Self Encrypting Drive) which is not listed on the drive compatibility list on Synology's site, I wondered if anyone had used one as it seems to be the faster of the 2 models and has a larger 256mb cache. I am not flush with cash thus looking at 6TB it will mean I move from 28TB usable to 42TB (SHR1)

Going from 4TB to 6TB is a small increment. I would recommend 8-10TB here, FWIW. Yea... I hear the cash issue. But moving to 6TB only postpones another set of disk purchases and all the additional rebuilds that entails.
The cost is probably a bit misleading I can afford to buy much larger drives but I cant justify it due to my actual data growth needs. as most of the array would just be empty for years if I went to much larger drives.

I am kind of talking myself into doing a gradual upgrade and gain the space as I need it, as drives will always get cheaper and larger over time. Just trying to find the sweet spot I need to replace at least two drives as the space used for the SHR element will be equal to the largest drive.

Hmm I am a terrible decision maker.

Telos makes a very valid point - and upgrading one at a time will take time and stress the array. Best move here would be to make a full external backup of the 1815+, create new storage with new drives, and then restore the backup. To help recoup cost you could then sell the used drives, there is a market for them, I have had good success selling 4-6 TB used drives.

Very true, I will be selling the old drives to offset some cost, I have picked up 3 drives initially to replace the ones that have been running for 6 years. As I dont have 24TB of spare drives sitting around. That should tide me over for another 18 months. By then 8tb drives should be within reach.

Very true, I will be selling the old drives to offset some cost, I have picked up 3 drives initially to replace the ones that have been running for 6 years. As I dont have 24TB of spare drives sitting around. That should tide me over for another 18 months. By then 8tb drives should be within reach.
If you are running an SHR1 array as your initial post implies, why don't you upgrade part of the array to 8TB drives instead of all of them to 6TB ones?

SHR1 can handle mixed HDD sizes, and that way when your storage needs increase again you can just replace some of the remaining 4TB ones with 8TB ones.

I am going to do a gradual upgrade now rather than replace all the drives.

With 8TB the cost difference really starts to stack up quickly.

3x6TB = £210 (32TB Usable including the other 5x4TB)
2x8TB = £368 (32TB Usable including the other 6x4TB)

£158 difference for the same usable space.

Last edited:
Hey all

I am quickly running out of space on my 1815+ which is currently filled with a mix of 4TB drives which are all just over 5 years of power on time so I am looking to upgrade all of these to 6TB drives, I have been offered a good price on some enterprise Seagate drives. either the:
  • ST6000NM0275
  • ST6000NM0024
The ST6000NM0275 looks like it s SED (Self Encrypting Drive) which is not listed on the drive compatibility list on Synology's site, I wondered if anyone had used one as it seems to be the faster of the 2 models and has a larger 256mb cache. I am not flush with cash thus looking at 6TB it will mean I move from 28TB usable to 42TB (SHR1)
Dr. Frankenstein - Did you have a chance to try the SED and did you have any issues with it? I came across this (old) article that interestingly suggests that SEDs are not supported with hardware RAID. Introduction to Self-Encrypting Drives (SED)

The only mention of SED support on hardware I can find on Synology's website is related to the UC3200.

Hey, no issues at all with compatibility they are all working as expected.

The only thing to consider is the noise, as they are quite loud compared to the almost silent consumer 4tb ones I replaced.

It's mainly the idle noise they tend to buzz, it's a weird noise that's hard to describe. I have moved my NAS to a cupboard so I can't hear it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.