Has anyone been successful in enabling IPv6 for the Docker daemon?

Currently reading
Has anyone been successful in enabling IPv6 for the Docker daemon?

NAS
DS918+
To add IPv6 support to our Docker containers, one first needs to enable IPv6 support in the Docker daemon. More specifically for our Synology boxes, the daemon.json file is located at /var/packages/Docker/etc/dockerd.json. Which begs the question: do changes to this file persist across updates? If they don't, this could be an annoyance...

Anyway, setting "ipv6": true in the daemon.json file doesn't seem to work, the Docker service doesn't start with this option.

Has anyone been able to figure out why? How do we fix this?

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS412+, DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+ with expansions
Router
RT1900ac, RT2600ac, MR2200ac
Can't help on that front I'm afraid. Still have no need for v6 so haven't tacked with this.

NAS
DS918+
Well, I was using MACVLAN network for a specific container and that required to properly configure IPv6 for the whole thing. However, I've moved to host network for this container and now, as long as the host itself (the NAS) has an IPv6, it will also be associated to "network: host" containers.

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
Router
Well, I was using MACVLAN network for a specific container and that required to properly configure IPv6 for the whole thing. However, I've moved to host network for this container and now, as long as the host itself (the NAS) has an IPv6, it will also be associated to "network: host" containers.
So v6 is a problem for you I’m guessing? Have you tried to turn v6 off on your adapter on host level?

NAS
DS918+
I think you misunderstood me... I had a problem with IPv6 when I was using a MACVLAN network for a specific container, to get that network with IPv6, Docker needs to support it to (which doesn't seem currently possible). I no longer have a problem because I switched the container to "host mode".

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
Router
Aha right. I did misread that. Still, I run all in bridge and on top of that no need for v6 on my end, so not sure what to tell you regarding troubleshoot.

NAS
DS218+, DS213j
Hi, found this thread on a similar case as described by 0xKubo. Changing dockerd.json in /var/packages/Docker/etc/dockerd.json resulted in error while trying to restart docker service. I figured another dockerd.json existing in /volume1/@appstore/Docker/config/dockerd.json. After both files contained the same and new settings, docker service started as usually.

Here's what I've added to the files to activate ipv6 support:
"ipv6": true,
"fixed-cidr-v6": "2001:db8:1::/64"

The second line is necessary to receive a global ipv6. Otherwise the container would receive a local fe80: address only.
Received both config lines for ipv6 from here: Walkthrough: Enabling IPv6 Functionality for Docker & Docker Compose – Collabnix

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!