HB rsync single copy backing empty space?

Currently reading
HB rsync single copy backing empty space?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1621+, DS918
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I am trying to setup a hyperback rsync single copy mode between 2 synology nas. Source has 6x 4tb SHR1, Target has 5x 4tb SHR1. Source has <8tb used, but the hb backup on the target always fills the whole contents and errors out when it gets to the 14tb mark, presumably because its out of space.

The task in hb is set to backup all the folders of volume1 (only volume/pool) but has a total of 7.6tb used. I have run this so many times, thinking each time it would complete at 8tb, but no.... what am I doing wrong?

Source
source sm.jpg

source hb.jpg

Target
target sm.jpg

Last edited:
I am trying to setup a hyperback rsync single copy mode between 2 synology nas. Source has 6x 4tb SHR1, Target has 5x 4tb SHR1. Source has <8tb used, but the hb backup on the target always fills the whole contents and errors out when it gets to the 14tb mark, presumably because its out of space.

The task in hb is set to backup all the folders of volume1 (only volume/pool) but has a total of 7.6tb used. I have run this so many times, thinking each time it would complete at 8tb, but no.... what am I doing wrong?

I just setup a test task for the single copy. It sets the task to a default (and minimum) of 1 max version. What happens is the job probably runs, and doesn't rotate or delete out the previous version until sometime after. Think about it if you're in the middle of making the backup or running that HB task and the NAS craps the bed, you're only copy would be the one prior to that task running, until the running task is complete. Therefore, it keeps the previous 1 copy until its confirmed that the current job task has completed and was successful. Also, this specific task does not purge or rotate any of the previous copies. Therefore it will drive data space up.

-- post merged: --

** Just realized this was posted to a brand new thread, rather than the previous thread that is already opened.

Yes I was trying to keep the topics straight, it kind of got merged.

Well that makes sense as the target only has 14tb usable total, so 8tb twice is obviously going to fill the target... However, that backup never completed even the first run... so the initial hb task would fill the targets 14tb.

I ran it multiple times, but I deleted (and empty recycle bin) the source_folder on target between each try, so several times it would try to transfer 8tb into a 14tb free target... so it never completed the initial 8tb backup task

Yes I was trying to keep the topics straight, it kind of got merged.

Well that makes sense as the target only has 14tb usable total, so 8tb twice is obviously going to fill the target... However, that backup never completed even the first run... so the initial hb task would fill the targets 14tb.

I ran it multiple times, but I deleted (and empty recycle bin) the source_folder on target between each try, so several times it would try to transfer 8tb into a 14tb free target... so it never completed the initial 8tb backup task

Two things. Make sure snapshots aren’t on for that destination folder. And Also run a data scrub.

I had this issue once before, where/when deleting tasks from HB and clearing things out, HB still maintained a cache file that was huge. I either ran a data scrub and that corrected it or I had to get into the command line to delete/clear that cache. I have notes on it somewhere, but I think this was discussed in a previous thread along with @Rusty who helped me out a bit. I have not had that issue since.

Can’t guarantee that’s what your issue is.

Two things. Make sure snapshots aren’t on for that destination folder. And Also run a data scrub.

I had this issue once before, where/when deleting tasks from HB and clearing things out, HB still maintained a cache file that was huge. I either ran a data scrub and that corrected it or I had to get into the command line to delete/clear that cache. I have notes on it somewhere, but I think this was discussed in a previous thread along with @Rusty who helped me out a bit. I have not had that issue since.

Can’t guarantee that’s what your issue is.
Positive snapshots are not on.
I dont know about the hb cache. When that task would run it created a folder called "nas1" and inside that a folder called "nas1_1" so the files on the target were /volume1/nas1/nas_1/* (pictures, docs, music, etc), the inside of the nas1_1 folder on target looked like the root (volume1) of source nas. So when the task would ultimately fail, I used control panel > shared folders > select folder and delete. Then empty all recycling bin, and ## amount of time later target would be empty.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.