HDD Choice WD or Seagate - DS220+

Currently reading
HDD Choice WD or Seagate - DS220+

Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello,
I would like to ask you - on our market is almost impossible get WD RED PLUS (WD40EFZX) as only one support by Synology for DS220+ as "entry level". It looks like WD40EFPX is the follower, but Synology didn't show this HDD in compatibiliy list. And I'm thinking about Seagate IronWolf ST4000VN006 - which I heard and read not so good reviews - looks like the Seagate is quite more about lucky for reliability :-(. And some reviews highlighted noise/sounds as little bit bad.

So I don't know what choose. It would be only for Home, Plex and some backups.

Any thoughts, recommendations? Risk for unsupported WD or try lucky with Seagate?

Thank you very much

Any thoughts, recommendations? Risk for unsupported WD or try lucky with Seagate?
Even though the WD one is not on the list means that it was not tested officially not that it is not supported. With any brand you can get into day 1 dead on arrival situation, so going with WD or Seagate might lead to the same outcome.

Both brands when it comes to 4TB or more will be "noisy". IMHO focus on the specs, compatibility and warranty.

Thank you @Rusty for quick reply. Short but clear.
I'm going to the WD Red Plus (WD40EFPX) and I hope all would be fine :) - it will be my first NAS. So as somebody wrote to internet - you have to going through all "issues" with first NAS. So lets go.

Thank you @Rusty for quick reply. Short but clear.
I'm going to the WD Red Plus (WD40EFPX) and I hope all would be fine :) - it will be my first NAS. So as somebody wrote to internet - you have to going through all "issues" with first NAS. So lets go.
You got our support! 📣

My Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb bought in May 21 just died.

It was chuntering a bit before it went but still showed up as healthy - for a while:-(
I'll be sending it back for replacement. I'll be setting up RAID when I get it!

They are a bit noisy but I keep mine in a little used room.

Meanwhile I've now installed its replacement and wondered if I can put the failing drive back in my DS220+ to see if I can retrieve any data?

col.

Were there any warning signs before the HDD failure? I moved from a single disk to a DS218+ so I could mirror the primary HDD in a RAID 1. Still, interested to know if your NAS sent any advice about the health of the HDD pre-failure.

Hello,
I would like to ask you - on our market is almost impossible get WD RED PLUS (WD40EFZX) as only one support by Synology for DS220+ as "entry level". It looks like WD40EFPX is the follower, but Synology didn't show this HDD in compatibiliy list. And I'm thinking about Seagate IronWolf ST4000VN006 - which I heard and read not so good reviews - looks like the Seagate is quite more about lucky for reliability :-(. And some reviews highlighted noise/sounds as little bit bad.

So I don't know what choose. It would be only for Home, Plex and some backups.

Thank you very much
I have four of the IronWolf's installed in a DS920+ early last year and one of them recently failed. Seagate sent me a replacement and the other three are still going with no problems.

Were there any warning signs before the HDD failure? I moved from a single disk to a DS218+ so I could mirror the primary HDD in a RAID 1. Still, interested to know if your NAS sent any advice about the health of the HDD pre-failure.
No, but if I'd had it readily visible the HDD light was orange, so that would have alerted me!
Surprisingly, after the rebuild I was able to extract my data from it. Transfer was quick too. 😊

Risk for unsupported WD or try lucky with Seagate?
Rusty gave you the best answer. Choose either based on economics. It's a coin toss. Noise is generally proportional to RPM, and Enterprise drives tend to be noisier than NAS drives. Reliability between WD and Seagate is a toss-up.

And you could use those fine Synology HAT drives...

Last edited:
I've had 3x WD Reds (5400 rpm) die, and 2X Seagate Barracuda's (7200 rpm) die....

One Seagate Barracuda, and 2 of 3 Reds just 'died'.... Were fine day 1 and dead or reporting bad the next day....

One Red (Under Warranty period) and 1 Barracuda: over a period of a week gave Daily emails that blocks of storage were being locked out.... before showing they died.... So I had a couple days notice that it was failing....

In the case of the RED, I contacted WD and they issued an RMA, and System limped on degraded SHR until replacement arrived....
In the case of the Barracuda, I had a replacement on the shelf (These were old drives).... and shut down and swapped out bad drive, followed by repair....

The last two Reds reporting bad were tested on a PC with WD Software, and both failed surface test within 10 min..
I didn't try any software test on Baracuda's as they were old way out of waranty drives...

I'm 3 years on one set of 6GB 7200RPM Ironwolfs, and 2.5 years on second identical set... Nothing to report on them yet....

The 3x 2TB Reds that died in 215J were replaced by 4TB 5400rpm Reds, lasted 2 years as mine, then NAS & Drives were given to my son-in-law, little over a year ago, who still runs them today, I’ve been told.

So after some days, what I bought the set - DS220+ + 4GB RAM + 2x 4TB WD Red PLU (40EFPX) - everything looks fine.
On the start system alert me that this HDDs are not "compatible" but I checked OK, and started.

Now running fine, very low consumption - happy for now. :)

So after some days, what I bought the set - DS220+ + 4GB RAM + 2x 4TB WD Red PLU (40EFPX) - everything looks fine.
On the start system alert me that this HDDs are not "compatible" but I checked OK, and started.

Now running fine, very low consumption - happy for now. :)
Indeed, the 5400 rpm Red Plus drives do consume a fair bit less energy than 7200rpm drives - in retrospect, given where energy costs are today if I was starting a new NAS now I would go with those drives too. With some of my older 4TB HGST drives now being more than 6 years old, when it eventually comes to replacing them I will probably use the Red Plus drives as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.