Hdd compatible one one Synology unit but not another?

Currently reading
Hdd compatible one one Synology unit but not another?

NAS
ds920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I am running out of space already on my ds920+ and wanted to add two new drives.

I currently have two 4tb ironwolf drives using Synology shr for redundancy and wanted to add two 12 tb to give a bit of space that wouldn’t get eaten up in under a year.

I saw a Seagate 14tb exos

ST14000NM001G​

And their price was lower than the ironwolf and wirh more storage space. I checked it’s compatibility with my ds920+ and unfortunately it’s not compatible.

I then came across another thread stating that this drive is compatible with a ds1621.

It got me thinking as to what differences are there between my ds920 and the ds1621 and why isn’t a drive like this compatible with both or even the whole Synology range? Is it that the ds1621 is geared towards more big business or someone just never bothered to test this exos drive in a ds92+ and therefore isn’t listed as compatible or incompatible?

I’ve seen folks also say that it’s fine to use while others say it’s not and you’ll have problems, so I’m curious to get more insight from the community.

Thanks!

It's mainly a factor of 'untested'. I think I have nothing but unsupported drives running in all my units, lol. Many times far over the largest size in the compatibility list like the 10TB in my DS215J or the 2x 16TB in the DS415play.

I would just try it and shake it out in the first few weeks. You'll know if there's a problem.

Oh, and the exos drives are fantastic if you're getting them factory sealed and new. I have several of these in Synology, Qnap and Netgear nas units and they're great. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.