Question HDD for Data Transport

Currently reading
Question HDD for Data Transport

D

Deleted member 673

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be "formatting / writing / shipping UPS ground across the U.S. / then reading" 6-8TB data. This cycle will repeat 4-6 times per year. I'm looking for advice on selection of a ~12TB (more or less) HDD that would be well suited for the sustained writing part of the cycle, as well as durability in transport. The HDDs will be powered up only long enough for the activity described above. The drives will be operated and transported in a fan-cooled single-drive USB enclosure. Speed is not a priority. Budget is not a huge concern; but we would rather spend less vs. more. We use Exos drives in the NAS; but I have no particular brand/model loyalty beyond whatever is best suited for the purpose.

Any suggestions from the HDD gurus on this platform? Thanks in advance. Ron

consideration:
- when you have properly finished parking of heads you can transport any HDD to anywhere- a principle of first transport from vendor manufacture to you (crossing all delivery channels)
- 24hours of time to adapt HDD to operation environment is recommended. it’s a recommendation when any HDD will stay opened from the transport case/box/plastic thin foil to get same temperature conditions = because physics. Then helium filled HDD is better, because can absorb most of such physical barriers.
- your purpose described is about large sequential write (in source site), then sequential read (in your site). This is perfect fitting scenario also for SMR, then you don’t be worried about such technology of magnetic recording. To be sure DMSMR will give you flexibility.

Then proposed solution is (sorted by recommendation)
1. any helium filed HDD, even SMR
2. any air filled HDD, even SMR
durable transport case (shock/dust/water proof, something like this

Thanks very much for the comprehensive and helpful response, @jeyare. I especially appreciate (and understand) the 24-hours to adapt comment - we might have missed that one. For what it is worth, here in the U.S., we have found Turtle Case to be very reliable and the company easy to work with - we order directly from them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.