NAS
DS718+ DS1621+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi

I am a relative Newbie. I have setup my DS718+ and it is perfect except for it being only 2 bay. I have a DX517 expansion unit and had put in 2 drives there. I use Surveillance Station, PLEX and use Synology Drive, DS Audio, and Photos. The setup is running nicely.

I can move the DS718+ to another site, so I thought I would upgrade to the DS1621+ and move the DS718+ to another site.

I plan to use the HDD Migration method but I just wanted to confirm:

1. Do I move all the drives including the DX517 in one hit and migrate?
2. Will my apps and settings and my current DSM settings migrate? I have changes ports etc.
3. Anything I will need to do with PLEX or will that go over?
4. Will the Surveillance Station settings and licenses move across (except the default 2 licenses per box)?

Synology support suggest yes but what I have read it is more like a maybe.

First time posting so thanks.

Thanks

Andrew

1. Do I move all the drives including the DX517 in one hit and migrate?
If you want to move 718 and the expansion they yes move all the drives. Hope you didn’t use a single volume across the main and expansion drive. If you did then you definitely need to move all the drives.
2. Will my apps and settings and my current DSM settings migrate? I have changes ports etc.
If you move existing drives from 718 to 1621 then 100% will be moved. If you plan on getting the new nas with new drives, migration assistant will move it all as well.

3. Anything I will need to do with PLEX or will that go over?
Can’t say if migration assistant will move 3rd party elements but even if it doesn’t you can migrate manually from one unit to the next

4. Will the Surveillance Station settings and licenses move across (except the default 2 licenses per box)?
Almost certain that you will need to export them and import them manually

If you want to move 718 and the expansion they yes move all the drives. Hope you didn’t use a single volume across the main and expansion drive. If you did then you definitely need to move all the drives.

If you move existing drives from 718 to 1621 then 100% will be moved. If you plan on getting the new nas with new drives, migration assistant will move it all as well.

Can’t say if migration assistant will move 3rd party elements but even if it doesn’t you can migrate manually from one unit to the next

Almost certain that you will need to export them and import them manually
Thanks so much

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.