DSM 6.2 HDD Migration from DS1815+ to RS3617xs possible?

Currently reading
DSM 6.2 HDD Migration from DS1815+ to RS3617xs possible?

Last edited:
Hello together,

we have an old DS1815+, which does not boot anymore. I checked the Power Supply via two different ATX Power Supply testers and the first one shows the 12V with an error and the Second tester shows an error with the 8-PIN connection (I assumed that is a 8-PIN CPU connection).

Since we are not sure if only the PSU is bad or even the motherboard has problems and we have a temporary spare RS3617xs (the non plus model) I am thinking about doing a HDD migration from the DS1815+ to the 3617xs. Would this be possible? Both are on DSM 6.2 (I choose to install DSM 6.2 on the 3617xs to do the upgrade to DSM 7 when onsite and the DS1815+ has always been on DSM 6.x). Is that possible? Do I need to do anything special or is it enough to put disk slot 1 of the DS1815+ into disk slot 1 of the RS3617xs?

The RS3617xs should be used as a temporary solution as we had planned to migrate the data from the DS1815+ to a RS4017xs+ via Hyper Backup and Robocopy. Hyperbackup had been done by me in 2020, but the robocopy part I requested several times had been "ignored" due to no time and other priorities. And since it was communicated to only use it for non critical files there is no backup available. But still there are now some files needed (as usual, the guys do ignore the "non ctritical files only stuff).

3rd-Party vendors suggested to buy a new Diskstation and migrate the disks as repairing it would be more or less the same price tag as buying a new one. So is it possible to do a HDD migration from the DS1815+ to the RS3617xs (non plus model)? Anything special I need to account for?

Solution
No, I haven't. I'm not that tech-savvy. But in the meantime I put the disks into the same slots of the RS3617xs and was able to start the migration there. Everything is running again. This thread is solved. Would be nice if a mod could mark the First post as solved.
No, I haven't. I'm not that tech-savvy. But in the meantime I put the disks into the same slots of the RS3617xs and was able to start the migration there. Everything is running again. This thread is solved. Would be nice if a mod could mark the First post as solved.

Upvote 0
Solution
You don't need to be tech-savvy. Everything is spelled out in the early parts of that thread. You have little to lose, and you might gain a NAS to use as backup for your RS. Or sell it on eBay. Part cost is under $10 (USD).
Thanks, but I don't even have a soldering station / soldering iron. The NAS itself was sent in to Synology 2 years ago because of the Intel CPU error. They returned the unit with a new revision. Or are these 2 different things?

Also, I have already tested the PSU with 2 PSU testers. Both confirm to me that the PSU is broken. I still connected my desktop power supply (beQuiet) yesterday evening and was able to turn on the NAS again. I therefore think that it is not done with 10 cents and I just have to buy a new power supply for 100 euros on Amazon.

Speaking of the power supply. Are the pins possibly standard 24 pin ATX (already confirmed), 8 pin CPU and 2x 6 pin PCIe? The 12 pin looks a lot like 2x 6 pin PCIe to me, except that one half of the pins would be rotated. Then you would have more choice in the replacement power supplies.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.