HDD Migration / just swapping drives? (DS916+ > DS920+)

Currently reading
HDD Migration / just swapping drives? (DS916+ > DS920+)

NAS
DS209j | DS210j | DS410 | DS214 | DS216+II | DS916+ | DS920+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'd like to ask the collective experience :

I want to upgrade my DS916+ to a new DS920+
No change of HDDs, I just want to take the existing HDDs and move them to the new NAS.
(Like I would if my current NAS breaks and I have to do an emergency-replacement of the broken NAS with existing HDDs)

I found several tutorials etc. but the genuine guide seems to be: How do I migrate data between Synology NAS (DSM 6.0 and later)? - Synology Bilgi Merkezi
Basically its: Backup the config .dss, swap drives and restore .dss file

The fine-print (How do I migrate data between Synology NAS (DSM 6.0 and later)? - Synology Bilgi Merkezi) states:
The following data will be lost when reinstalling DSM:
  • The database of LDAP Server (formerly Directory Server) [I dont use]
  • Photo Station/blog content [I dont use]
  • Auto-block settings
  • Video info content in Video Station [I dont use]
  • Mail Server and Mail Station settings [Is this the "basic" package or also MailPlus Server???]
  • Surveillance Station settings [I dont care much]
  • Download Station tasks and temporary storage [I dont use]
  • All media files will be re-indexed after migration

After years of fine-tuning my DS916+ I'd rather not lose my configurations, moreover I depend on several services running on it, like (in order of priority):
  1. MailPlus Server
  2. user base
  3. shared folder access permissions
  4. FileStation shared-file links
  5. Reverse Proxy settings / Certificates
  6. VPN Server settings
  7. docker containers

My question to all of you more experienced users: Is it as straight forward as described in the Synology Guide?
  • Will the new DS behave like the old one, after restoring the .dss file?
  • Especially: Will MailPlus Server run like before (keep DKIM keys etc.)
  • Plus-Question: How will the new DS920+ set the network interface. The old one has a Bond (LAN1/LAN2) configured.
  • Any pitfall?
  • Do you have any suggestions / tips?
I do have a HyperBackup (local and partly C2) of my old NAS and some folders are replicated to another DS.

Thanks for all input!
paradeiser

Solution
In short, it will work as described. You are using the same CPU arch NAS as your source and destination. So you can just move the drives and that will be it.

Running a config backup beforehand is always a good idea just in case, as well as have a backup of any crucial pieces of information, but in the end, migration with drives 1:1 is the easiest mode of migration. All settings, configurations, apps, data, etc will remain considering you are actually moving the drives.

How will the new DS920+ set the network interface. The old one has a Bond (LAN1/LAN2) configured.
I think (can't really recall), this is the only piece that might need your attention but I could be wrong. In any case, creating the bond will not take more...
In short, it will work as described. You are using the same CPU arch NAS as your source and destination. So you can just move the drives and that will be it.

Running a config backup beforehand is always a good idea just in case, as well as have a backup of any crucial pieces of information, but in the end, migration with drives 1:1 is the easiest mode of migration. All settings, configurations, apps, data, etc will remain considering you are actually moving the drives.

How will the new DS920+ set the network interface. The old one has a Bond (LAN1/LAN2) configured.
I think (can't really recall), this is the only piece that might need your attention but I could be wrong. In any case, creating the bond will not take more than a few minutes even if it will be needed at all.

Upvote 0
Solution
A quick follow-up about how it went:

tl;dr
Wow! That went smooth… :D

What I did
  1. Install the latest DSM updates
  2. The obvious backups (double and triple)
    1. recurring HyperBackups to remote NAS and/or C2
    2. recurring Data replications
    3. extra full 1:1 Backup to an external HDD
  3. Backup of the latest DSM config as .dss
  4. Shut down DS
  5. Move hard-disk by hard-disk in the exact order
  6. Swap network- and USB-cables form old NAS to the new one
    (as I use a network bond I connected just one cable at first, so I didn't get confused by showing two different IPs for the new DS)
  7. Boot up the new DS and pray
  8. Synology Assistant showed the new DS (using a new IP)
    but actually, I continued using the browser:
  9. find.synology.com
    showing the new DS ready for "migration"
    it also showed detailed information about the source DS-Type and the new DS
  10. go thru the "Update to the latest DSM" process
  11. and wait for the reboot of the new DS
  12. pray again
  13. Be very happy to see the well known Login page of my DS as it always used to be
  14. login with old credentials
  15. Additionally, for MailPlus Server
    1. reconnect DSM to my Synology account
    2. re-add the additional MailPlus Server Licenses
  16. Wait for all the packages to be downloaded / installed automatically
  17. (Connect the second LAN cable. The bond config was also created on the new DS)
Everything, including dockers etc. were up and running after ~45 min
So far, no issues.

Thanks for all the information and support I gathered beforehand in this superb forum!
paradeiser

PS:
First I installed the latest DSM on the new box using a spare HDD, like explained here Synology Knowledge Center
for migrating between two identical Synology NAS models in the hope to skip the "migration process" and just swap HDDs. But as the two models are just the same family, but not exact same type, this was not the case.

Upvote 0
Just FYI... but this outdated instruction for DSM 6 (possibly 5) onwards. Still, it is harmless.
As you say, there's no harm doing it. And if you've built up an array over time or replaced a drive then you'll know which disks are which in the new NAS.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.