Currently reading
HDD Swap

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Hey everyone,

I messed up and pulled my 2 14tb from my DS218+, and swapped in a new pair of 20tbs. I did not take into consideration that I could not simply mount the old 14tbs externally to transfer the information to the new drives. Is there a best practice to resolve my idiocy? I have tried mounting the drives in an external reader, and mounting them internally in my desktop to no avail. As for pulling one of the new drives out, swapping one of the 14tbs back in and transferring from there I have not tried that yet because I was unsure if I may mess up my setup even further. Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this?

Thank you,

As for pulling one of the new drives out, swapping one of the 14tbs back in and transferring from there I have not tried that yet because I was unsure if I may mess up my setup even further. Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this?
That would be the process. Just 1st place the pair of 14TB drives back and see if all is working fine. Then, if you are running RAID1 or SHR volume, simply, replace one drive and let the volume rebuild (it can take days). Then, when that is done, repeat the process for the second drive.

Just 1st place the pair of 14TB drives back and see if all is working fine
Hopefully you pulled the 14 TB drives when powered off, otherwise they will be unsynced/degraded. Likewise, install the 14 TB drives withe NAS off.

If these were SHR drives, you can install one, along with the 20 TB, and boot up into a rebuild. Before doing this I would reformat the 20 TB before adding to the NAS so that any Synology remnants don't confuse things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.