Heat - how hot can the room w/the synology get?

Currently reading
Heat - how hot can the room w/the synology get?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hoping to locate the synology in a closest in my personal office. Personal office is a 3rd floor space crafted from an attic space. During the winter it can get chilly though never cold enough to be considered a risk to hardware. During the hottest months of summer, I am not using the office because it is too hot. While there is AC and it can help, it isn't always on especially when there are other work environment options.

Never took a temperature reading yet I wouldn't be surprised if it got 90-100º F during the hottest days...inside the closet maybe a little warmer.

Anyone know if that would pose risk to the Synology?
FWIW - I have had a Mac mini running no problem for year (open by desk, not in closet) and the fan might go on now-and-again however nothing major.

Best to stay nicely within the temperature range of the hard disks. It is in the specifications.
Also synology has a specification, depends on model.
temperature fluctuations are worse than a constant temperature.

The drive temperatures in a normal room are 120-130 degrees (even with the fan on). Don't know how this relates to the operating temperature specs for the drives - I suspect they are extremely conservative.

The drive temperatures in a normal room are 120-130 degrees (even with the fan on). Don't know how this relates to the operating temperature specs for the drives - I suspect they are extremely conservative.

when you have HDDs in operation & with the small 60x60 mm fan (NAS) you need to detach the front NAS lid for better airflow, then try to operate with all NAS FAN options, you will get better (less) values. Everything >45C (drive temp) has an impact on lifespan + temperature impact to the NAS MoBo components.
The NAS needs air, just like people.

Never took a temperature reading yet I wouldn't be surprised if it got 90-100º F during the hottest days...inside the closet maybe a little warmer.
try to watch it regularly, maybe you will be surprised (positively/negatively).

Everything >45C (drive temp) has an impact on lifespan + temperature impact to the NAS MoBo components.
I've never seen a drive temperature under 50C. Never had a drive failure either (seriously)!

I've had some experience running equipment in less than ideal office settings and can definitely say that excess heat is not good for any electronics, NAS included.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back