Held off upgrading to DSM 7.0 - is it time now?

Currently reading
Held off upgrading to DSM 7.0 - is it time now?

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,

I held off upgrading my DS218+ to DSM 7.0+ and I am currently running just fine on 6.2.4-25556 Update 6.

My main reason not to upgrade was reported Plex issues, and wanting to wait for bugs to be sorted out. But is it all good now with all the releases? Is Plex now finally without issues? All other third party apps and functionalities?

Thanks

Hi,

I held off upgrading my DS218+ to DSM 7.0+ and I am currently running just fine on 6.2.4-25556 Update 6.

My main reason not to upgrade was reported Plex issues, and wanting to wait for bugs to be sorted out. But is it all good now with all the releases? Is Plex now finally without issues? All other third party apps and functionalities?

Thanks
In short for a while now it's all good. As @Tedster said, I would agree. Best to go over what you are using, what got deprecated, and what needs to be configured in order to function on dsm 7.

Personally, I have a few boxes still on 6 and see no reason atm to migrate. In terms of Plex, it will work once you do a one-time proper migration to dsm 7. Any update after that will be as normal as on the current os version.

Hello,

I'm in the same boat. I have two NAS, ds718+ and ds418 that are still on
DSM 6.2.x. I just purchased a RS1221+ for my rack and that is running
DSM 7.1.x. I'm also of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

The two desktop NAS's (DSM 6.2) run Media (video, audio and photo stations)
and Drive, Office and Calendar applications. They backup to the
RS1221+ fine using network HyperBackup.

I only have issues with CMS (running on the RS1221+, DSM 7.1) that says
that there are incompatible versions in the packages with the two older
desktop NAS's... I can live with that.

I also agree with Rusty, there is no reason for me, at the moment,
to upgrade.

Last edited:
I’ve updated my “Experimental 720+” here to latest 7.1-1 2-3 weeks ago.
Worked so well did other 720+ and 718+.. days later.

I did it primarily for the 60+ security updates.

I have noticed nothing unusual so far.

Edit: no W7 or W10 issues, And all the APPS I use on our iPhones at IOS 16.02. And iPad at 15.7:
DS ROUTER, DS FINDER, DRIVE, DS FILES, DS CAM….. Works fine. (DS ROUTER obviously refers to RT2600ac at its latest version)

Edit yet again! During the days that one 720+ was at 7 and other 720+ and 718+ was still at 6….. Shared Folder Sync between the three NAS’s and APPS that talked between the NAS’s still worked fine!

I only have issues with CMS (running on the RS1221+, DSM 7.1) that says
that there are incompatible versions in the packages with the two older
desktop NAS's... I can live with that.
Not sure I can state it definitely, but I think I had all my NAS visible inside the CMS. Truth be told not sure if the DSM 7 nas were clients in this case towards the CMS running on dsm 6 or vice versa, but I had them all.

Yes, I can see all of the older Desktop NAS's (DSM 6.2) that I manage with CMS but the package management on DSM 7.1 complains about the older versions of packages on DSM 6.2 (older Desktop NAS's) which makes sense.
Aha... ofc that. I misunderstood.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back