Help: Blinking blue light - then solid blue and bliking disks after restart

NAS
DS209+II, DS415+, DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
3 days ago, my DS415+ didn't reboot properly.
It had been running flawlessly for over a year.

It ended with a blinking blue light, no disk lights and couldn't be accessed.

I shut it down by pressing and holding the power button.

Then I turned it back on.

It's been "running" for the past 3 days: solid blue light and blinking disks with noise that would indicate spinning disks.
The network blinks as active, but DSfinder or any other method doesn't see the NAS. Nor does the router DNS.

Inside I have 3 identical disks. WD Red 3TB.

2 disks are RAID 1, 1 disk is just by itself. 2 volumes.

Is it possible that it is rebuilding the array and I should wait sill longer?

Or should I forcibly turn it off, open it, clean it, boot without the disks, then shut down, add the disks one by one, reboot, etc (assuming it boots at every step)?

Any other approach?

Thank you!!!

Thank you Rusty, I saw the articles and the videos. Haven't soldered in years... but I'll look into it.

How about the risk by forcibly shutting down? Is it conceivable that the array is rebuilding? Will I make things worse?

Thanks

Ok...makes sense. I'll shut down by holding the power button, pray, and get on with repairs.

Looks like a great weekend ahead. :)

Thanks!

be careful with that way, when you will lost connection between the wire and resistor due common operation & vibration or something like that you can definitely lose your CPU. Soldered contact is solder contact. And contract is contract is contract.
In this job an anti static wrist strap & mat are your big friend.

Thank you all.

I invested on a DS920+ and put the disks in the same exact positions. It worked quickly like a charm, no data loss, almost no settings to change. I have to say I was impressed at how easy it was.

With that secured, I tried the recommended fix. I did solder... no desire to live dangerously. The DS415+ booted cleanly and asked for disks. Obviously I'm not putting the disks back, they are now in the 920+, but I'll buy a couple of disks and use this NAS for something else.

Great tutorials. Thank you all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.