NAS
DS414s, DS1621+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello all, the tittle says it all: I deleted an user that had important notes with it. The filesystem kept the user home folder but I can't find the notes anywhere. I have no idea where they are stored. Can someone help?

I might be wrong but it seems to me that deleting a user also deletes all his data from Drive, Note etc...
Hope someone has a better answer than I do ...

We are talking about Note Station here?
Yeah!
-- post merged: --

I might be wrong but it seems to me that deleting a user also deletes all his data from Drive, Note etc...
Hope someone has a better answer than I do ...
Not really, all their data is still in the file station, just the note station is gone.

Not something I've investigated but had thought that Note Station uses a database and not the file system to hold its data. As such if you delete a DSM user then it would delete the associated data in the database.

When restoring a Hyper Backup task to a new NAS it will restore all of Note Station data too (if included in the task). So I would guess that restoring the NAS to a point in time before the deletion happened to have the same effect. Obviously that's not ideal so the next best thing I would try is running up virtual DSM in VMM (you have a plus series NAS so can do this) and applying the HB restore to that... omitting any parts of the task data that aren't necessary to achieve the objective.

Another idea would be to find the Note Station database, via SSH, and perform some sql commands to ascertain if the deleted user's data is still in there.

Not something I've investigated but had thought that Note Station uses a database and not the file system to hold its data. As such if you delete a DSM user then it would delete the associated data in the database.

When restoring a Hyper Backup task to a new NAS it will restore all of Note Station data too (if included in the task). So I would guess that restoring the NAS to a point in time before the deletion happened to have the same effect. Obviously that's not ideal so the next best thing I would try is running up virtual DSM in VMM (you have a plus series NAS so can do this) and applying the HB restore to that... omitting any parts of the task data that aren't necessary to achieve the objective.

Another idea would be to find the Note Station database, via SSH, and perform some sql commands to ascertain if the deleted user's data is still in there.
Appreciate the help! I must find the time to poke around.

Try this... as it's possible the database might be there, given that the /home files are still present...

SSH in (I used WinSCP) and browse to

/volume1/@appstore/NoteStation/db

Download fts.db to PC. Use SQLite program to open the file. Plain text is displayed. No password required.

Was fts.db present?

Last edited:
Try this... as it's possible the database might be there, given that the /home files are still present...

SSH in (I used WinSCP) and browse to

/volume1/@appstore/NoteStation/db

Download fts.db to PC. Use SQLite program to open the file. Plain text is displayed. No password required.

Was fts.db present?
Oh man, that's great. I will try and see if it works. Later today I will post my findings.

EDIT: Alright, so I found the file, thanks for the tip! But I am having problems downloading it as I don't know how. Maybe you can give me a couple of pointers? I can't use 'sftp' because even the admin users can't see that folder '@appstore' (lack of read rights I assume?). I also tried WinSCP as you advised instead of using Windows' powershell, but it looks like WinSCP establishes a simple SFTP connection to the peer, like FileZila for instance, and like that I am also not able to see the system folders.
Would you please advise me on how to download the file?

EDIT 2: Got it! Just needed to start the session with the SCP protocol and an admin user, not FTP :)
On to trying to do magic with SQLite :cool:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.