NAS
synology DS213+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi All,
I currently own a WD MyCloud Home and an older synology DS213+. I'm thinking of upgrading to a DS220+ so I can upgrade to DSM 7. Before I do I wanted to ensure it could meet my needs for an icloud replacement.

I use MacOS and iOS. I'd love to have a photo library sync across my macbook and iphone without using storage on my macbook (or iphone). But I also don't want to loose original photo capabilitis (live photo, metadata for filter editing, etc).

Any thoughts on how to go about doing this?

Thank you

If you upload the photo's using synology photo's to the NAS. It will upload both a .HEIC and a .MOV for each photo onto your synology.
The .MOV is used for the live photo's and the .HEIC is the hires photo.
On ios, you can use the synology photo app to play the live photo's or view the hi-res ( set the correct HTTP in the "more" of settings).
On your macbook there is the synology photos app, it works similar.
So it works, but will cost quite some disk space.

If you upload the photo's using synology photo's to the NAS. It will upload both a .HEIC and a .MOV for each photo onto your synology.
The .MOV is used for the live photo's and the .HEIC is the hires photo.
On ios, you can use the synology photo app to play the live photo's or view the hi-res ( set the correct HTTP in the "more" of settings).
On your macbook there is the synology photos app, it works similar.
So it works, but will cost quite some disk space.
Thanks for your reply. Is there any way to host the mac photos library on synology and then upload photos directly into it? This way it stays in the native format?

Cannot help you here, possibly the various other devices will mess it up. Apple will probably protect its own infrastructure to keep customers in the icloud.
I think by the way that heic and mov are native.

Thanks for your reply. Is there any way to host the mac photos library on synology and then upload photos directly into it? This way it stays in the native format?
You can host mac library on the nas but you will still just be able to use it from a mac device only. Also the sparse bundle image needs to be hfs+ formatted not apfs. So not helping you much for your needs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.