Help needed choosing a synology nas that could play 2 or 3 4k movies at the same time which device can do this 8 bays or more

Currently reading
Help needed choosing a synology nas that could play 2 or 3 4k movies at the same time which device can do this 8 bays or more

Status
Not open for further replies.
transcoding has to be done on NAS is what i'm hearing?
No.... nobody suggested that...
So the M1 Mac Mini could Transcode atleast 2 or 3 4k movies at the sametime? and synology DS1621+ would be to just for storage? to confirm?
Yes... many more than 2 or 3, as covered earlier...

Hang on a minute, you are taking us all around in circles. Please re-read your own thread again as you have all your answers at least once (but usually more) but then take a different conclusion and take us around again.

Along the way you have mentioned that you already have movies on a networked machine and have a Mac M1 machine too. You could have installed Plex server on it and have run many of your own tests by now.

We are all trying to help and we will continue to do so but the onus is on you to absorb the answers given and experiment with what you already have.

(y)

Last edited:
NUC is a device/computer that you can install any OS (other than macOS) on it.
Can I just setup NUC on windows then just
NUC is a device/computer that you can install any OS (other than macOS) on it.
Once I setup NUC can I just leave it run and not mantain it, and then just use the synology on my macbook?
-- post merged: --

No.... nobody suggested that...

Yes... many more than 2 or 3, as covered earlier...

Hang on a minute, you are taking us all around in circles. Please re-read your own thread again as you have all your answers at least once (but usually more) but then take a different conclusion and take us around again.

Along the way you have mentioned that you already have movies on a networked machine and have a Mac M1 machine too. You could have installed Plex server on it and have run many of your own tests by now.

We are all trying to help and we will continue to do so but the onus is on you to absorb the answers given and experiment with what you already have.

(y)
I dont have synology to test

Once I setup NUC can I just leave it run and not mantain it, and then just use the synology on my macbook?

I dont have synology to test
I'm sorry for the mixup

You can setup windows on a NUC device, yes

If you will have your NUC running Windows, I suggest having it maintained as much as possible. Use Synology on your MacBook? You can use any device that has a mobile browser to maintain your NAS, so not sure what you are asking here exactly.

As @Robbie already stated before, seems that we are running in circles here a bit. Do review all your questions and answers, and try not to ask the same question in a different manner.

If this continues, the thread will be locked.

You can setup windows on a NUC device, yes

If you will have your NUC running Windows, I suggest having it maintained as much as possible. Use Synology on your MacBook? You can use any device that has a mobile browser to maintain your NAS, so not sure what you are asking here exactly.

As @Robbie already stated before, seems that we are running in circles here a bit. Do review all your questions and answers, and try not to ask the same question in a different manner.

If this continues, the thread will be locked.
Hey pal learn to read it was a diffent question dumb ass

Hey pal learn to read it was a diffent question dumb ass
Synology really sucks very weak cpu

It feels that there is confusion about what NUC is.

What Is Intel® NUC?​

Intel® NUC is a small form factor PC with a tiny footprint. Short for Next Unit of Computing, Intel® NUC (say it like “luck” or “truck”) puts full-sized PC power in the palm of your hand.

So consider it to be an alternative to a Mac Mini [MM] (which runs macOS) but the NUC is running Windows. Both would run the Plex Media Server software. They would then require the Plex library to be stored somewhere. That could be one or more USB drives connected directly to the MM/NUC or you could use a NAS. In this case the NAS just has to support serving files via Ethernet: the NAS could be directly connected using Ethernet if the MM/NUS has two network interfaces or, more normally, the NAS is connected to the wired home network.

Alternatively, you can co-host the Plex Media Server and Plex library on a NAS. In this case you should consider:
  • Can the Plex client on my playback devices (Apple TV, smart TV, etc) support the video and audio formats on my media files?
  • Do I have to have a NAS capable of transcoding my media files to Plex client devices that don't support my files?

The reason people have been suggesting using an MM/NUC is that they are not 100% confident that your situation will be reliably met by a DS920+/1520+, which use Intel CPU+GPU that Plex can access for real time hardware transcoding. People aren't wanting you to spend your money only to find it's not right.

However, you can help yourself here.
  1. You already run Plex and you have the client devices too. To answer the oft asked question about if you need transcoding, you can yourself access the Plex dashboard while streaming media. This will tell you if the media is being transcoded or not. Try it for all client devices. Look at the loading it puts on your (probably) more performant CPU.
  2. You said you have a MacBook Air M1 (it has the same CPU as the MM) so why don't you install Plex Media Server on that, set up a test library of representative media. Then stream to multiple Plex clients. Check the performance again.

Status
Not open for further replies.