Help needed choosing a synology nas that could play 2 or 3 4k movies at the same time which device can do this 8 bays or more

Currently reading
Help needed choosing a synology nas that could play 2 or 3 4k movies at the same time which device can do this 8 bays or more

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall doing anything special to support 2 Plex Servers from 1 media store and I have been running this configuration for years over different Macs and different Syno hardware.

When it comes to updates or a server being offline it all works as you would expect - the server in question just shows as offline but everything stays in place, albeit greyed-out, until power / service / software etc comes online again; this could be over hours or even months.

View attachment 4094
View attachment 4095

Apologies if I have misunderstood your post.
If I get a m1 mac mini and either a DS1821+ or DS1621+ Can I transcode 2x4k movies at the sametime?

With the DS1520+ intel cpu did you say DS1520+ has a built in GPU?
The DS1520+ is exactly the DS920+ with extra:
  1. 1 drive bay
  2. 4GB RAM
  3. 1 eSata port
  4. 2 1GbE
I’ve no 4K media so don’t know about running multiple streams.
When it comes to updates or a server being offline it all works as you would expect
I was meaning when the NAS is offline.

I used to have my media files on eSata drive to the DS218+ and if it didn’t connect when the NAS powered up then VS would redo its database. Plex has a setting to delay flushing out database info of items it can’t find. I think defaulted to 6 hours but it’s just something to be aware of if you’re having a bit of a moment with the NAS … I would suggest to script a Mac launch item to monitor the NAS’s mounted folder and to stop/start Plex if the folder isn’t/is available.

Under Plex's Library settings. Maybe it's smarter and if the drive/top-level folder isn't available then it does nothing, assuming it's offline not deleted, I haven't noticed. But in case it does decide to assume you've removed the media and so cleans up the database then check what these do, and in Plex help seems to say to have both Mac/PC server and NAS available.
1627722301901.png

Last edited:
Thanks - the settings I use:

6F06DB17-DEA3-4EA1-9E59-7A6BF1641A1E.png

If I get a m1 mac mini and either a DS1821+ or DS1621+ Can I transcode 2x4k movies at the sametime?

Yes, with considerable ease. If you are in the Apple ecosystem then an always-on M1 mini makes a lot of sense given all the extra Apple network support it can add for networking, Bonjour / mDNS, HomeKit, content caching, iOS and MacOS update management etc. For a pure and agnostic Plex transcoder there may be a cheaper option than the Mac mini but it is unlikely to match the very low power used and of course, reliability.

Mine runs headless in a rackmount kit so I just screenshare in when I need to change something. It could equally be used as a regular desktop or as a media player attached to the back of a TV.

Thanks - the settings I use:

View attachment 4098

Yes, with considerable ease. If you are in the Apple ecosystem then an always-on M1 mini makes a lot of sense given all the extra Apple network support it can add for networking, Bonjour / mDNS, HomeKit, content caching, iOS and MacOS update management etc. For a pure and agnostic Plex transcoder there may be a cheaper option than the Mac mini but it is unlikely to match the very low power used and of course, reliability.

Mine runs headless in a rackmount kit so I just screenshare in when I need to change something. It could equally be used as a regular desktop or as a media player attached to the back of a TV.
Even the cheapest m1 mac mini will do?

Even the cheapest m1 mac mini will do?
Yes, I ran the base model config before switching to the base plus 16GB upgrade (extra RAM was needed for an unrelated and rather old application). Both worked perfectly. There was a guy on the Plex forum who used the M1 Air for his Plex testing, so he produced a pretty fair review. The M1 performance has only increased over time due to app optimisation and Apple tweaks.

Still, running an extra device is not for everyone but it is perfect for me.

Yes, I ran the base model config before switching to the base plus 16GB upgrade (extra RAM was needed for an unrelated and rather old application). Both worked perfectly. There was a guy on the Plex forum who used the M1 Air for his Plex testing, so he produced a pretty fair review. The M1 performance has only increased over time due to app optimisation and Apple tweaks.

I have m1 macbook air I use mostly macs and apple devices

Movies play fast on this? and can I use emby on it to. i'am compairing this to qnap

Last edited:
I'am only using for in the house. Some say intel is better some say AMD. they said DS1520+ can do 2 4k transcode at the sametime? And DS1821+ cant transcode 2 4k ?
Someone told he has the DS1821+ and uses M1 mac mini to transcode. to tv.
Would like other users advice
Thanks

I'am only using for in the house. Some say intel is better some say AMD. they said DS1520+ can do 2 4k transcode at the sametime? And DS1821+ cant transcode 2 4k ?
Someone told he has the DS1821+ and uses M1 mac mini to transcode. to tv.
Would like other users advice
Thanks
Whats everyone think of synology locked hardrives?

transcoding has to be done on NAS is what i'm hearing?
Transcoding should be the exception, rather than the rule. Synology's 21-series is quite weak for on-the-fly transcoding, and that is unlikely to change. Most modern players can handle direct play for the majority of codecs.

If live transcoding is your norm, then you should consider instead a NUC or Mac Mini. Or set up off-line transcoding (Plex does that well IMO).

Transcoding should be the exception, rather than the rule. Synology's 21-series is quite weak for on-the-fly transcoding, and that is unlikely to change. Most modern players can handle direct play for the majority of codecs.

If live transcoding is your norm, then you should consider instead a NUC or Mac Mini. Or set up off-line transcoding (Plex does that well IMO).
So the M1 Mac Mini could Transcode atleast 2 or 3 4k movies at the sametime? and synology DS1621+ would be to just for storage? to confirm?

Last edited:

Nuc takes alot of setting up? and can I setup nuc on a mac computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.