Help Restore Customized Volume backup

Currently reading
Help Restore Customized Volume backup

NAS
DS1019+, DS213+
I've been doing a nightly customized volume backup for many months now in conjunction with a weekly backup of the system drive. Last night we had file corruption and I need to restore the customized volume backup but I don't see any way to do this. The Restore feature in Active Backup for Business only allows me to target a system drive backup and not any of the customized volume backups.

The customized volume backup backs up the critical drive that contains our database every night. I do a system volume backup weekly and I'm able to restore this fine but it doesn't contain the volume I need, which is in the customized volume task.

I need to restore the entire volume to a location or find a way to unpack the "1.img" file created. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

it doesn't contain the volume I need, which is in the customized volume task.
Not sure what you mean by this. Is this something that you have done customized in Active Backup?

Last night we had file corruption and I need to restore the customized volume backup
So the file corrupted is on this custom volume? You can’t see this under Active Backup Portal also?

Not sure what you mean by this. Is this something that you have done customized in Active Backup?

So the file corrupted is on this custom volume? You can’t see this under Active Backup Portal also?
The corruption was on the drive that I needed to restore from backup. Doing a Customized Volume Backup in Active Backup For Business under the Physical Server selection allows you to back up a volume that is not the system drive separately. In my case, this was the H drive.

I was able to figure out the solution. I had download the Synology Restore Media Creator and install that. This program required me to download and install Microsoft ADK and Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment to run. The combination of all these allowed me to format a flash drive with a bootable image with Restore Media Creator.

Once I booted a computer from the flash drive, I could put in the IP address of the NAS along with admin credentials to access the full backups as well as the volume backups. I restored the volume backup to an SSD I put in the computer and then was able to reboot the computer to Windows OS and copy the files from the SSD to the server.

Word of warning: The software is poorly written as well. On the screen where I thought I was selecting which drive to restore to and removing the OS drive from being selected, I was actually removing the partitions of the OS drive. There is no verification or warning for this action. Click and it's gone. That computer was lost in the process but thankfully, I did it on a spare PC and not my PC.

Recovery of these backups is a horrible, horrible process. This should not be this difficult. Now that I have my bootable flash drive, any future recoveries will be much easier though.

I think it's a bit ridiculous users have to go through this process to get to any backups of a drive. I only needed 4 files off of the H drive to recover the database with the rest of the server completely functional. They could do much better in this area.
But that's part of the bad with the good they offer in their suite of products. I can't expect everything to be great. :)

I'm fairly new to Synology and am trying to make sure I understand Active Backup and prepare for eventualities. Today I discovered the "Customized volume" option and will probably make use of that. That led me to this thread.

In this scenario, could you have used the Active Backup for Business Portal application on the NAS and just pulled the 4 files via a web browser? Or does the Portal not surface the Customized volumes? (It does seem odd that the Portal is a separate app from Active Backup itself but I guess the theory is to allow users to do their own restores.)

Thanks for your reply. Not quite sure which "counts" you are referring to. I was trying to offer two options:

1. You can restore a few files from any volume using the ABB Portal in a browser. No need to get into media creation and bare metal restore, though that also works.

2. You cannot restore Customized volumes in the ABB Portal; only the system volume is available. To get to data on Customized volumes, you must create bootable media and work from a full ABB Restore.

Hopefully it's #1?

Last edited:
So in the OP's case, the ABB Portal would have access to files on the C: drive but not the H: drive that he included in his customized list? Wow. Guess I need to test this.

So in the OP's case, the ABB Portal would have access to files on the C: drive but not the H: drive that he included in his customized list? Wow. Guess I need to test this.
Yes. From KB:

Rich (BB code):
Bare-metal, Volume-based, or Disk-level requires a Recover Media which is customized by the administrators, and should be performed outside of this portal.

Did a quick test of this by adding the customized backup of the D: drive on of my computers. When it completed, I was able to see both the C: and D: drives in the ABB portal. I browsed to a file on Volume 2 (D) and downloaded it in a few seconds. Not a "Bare-metal, Volume-based, or Disk-level" restore--just pulled out a few files--so no need for Recovery media.

ABB Portal Drive D restore.png

Did a quick test of this by adding the customized backup of the D: drive on of my computers. When it completed, I was able to see both the C: and D: drives in the ABB portal. I browsed to a file on Volume 2 (D) and downloaded it in a few seconds. Not a "Bare-metal, Volume-based, or Disk-level" restore--just pulled out a few files--so no need for Recovery media.

View attachment 10120
D drive was an external drive or internal?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.