1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,

I'm desperately trying this simple usage :

Home network -> RT2600ac -> LMT 4G (internet)

RT config is :

primary interface -
IP address : 192.168.3.2
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
GW : 192.168.3.1
DNS Server : 192.168.3.1
Set as default GW : Enable

LMT config is : DHCP : 192.168.3.1 up to 255

... and this is not working !

When directly connecting a PC to the LMT (wifi or ethernet), it is working fine, I got an IP like 192.168.3.xx and I can surf on the internet.

When connecting the PC to the RT2600, the PC got his local PI Address (192.168.1.xx), I can reach the admin interface of the LMT, using 192.168.3.1, but impossible to go to the internet.

I have to add that when I do the same with my regular dsl ISP Box instead of the LMT 4G, it is working fine...

I'm lost...

I have tried googling 'huawei lmt 4g' and haven't had any luck finding what actual device you'e using. Clearly from what you've written it's a router for wired (ethernet) LAN and wireless devices that connects to a 4G mobile data service.

How are you configuring the two routers?
  1. Is the RT2600ac supposed to be an access point on the home LAN created by the Huawei router?
  2. Is the RT2600ac the home LAN perimeter security device (in router mode)? If so:
    1. Is the Huawei device operating as a router too?
    2. Is the Huawei device operating as a modem/bridge device?
I have to add that when I do the same with my regular dsl ISP Box instead of the LMT 4G, it is working fine...
?? in what respect, aren't they using different WAN connections?

What is the new ingredient in your setup? It sounds that it's the Huawei router.

Upvote 0
I have tried googling 'huawei lmt 4g' and haven't had any luck finding what actual device you'e using. Clearly from what you've written it's a router for wired (ethernet) LAN and wireless devices that connects to a 4G mobile data service.

How are you configuring the two routers?
  1. Is the RT2600ac supposed to be an access point on the home LAN created by the Huawei router?
  2. Is the RT2600ac the home LAN perimeter security device (in router mode)? If so:
    1. Is the Huawei device operating as a router too?
    2. Is the Huawei device operating as a modem/bridge device?

?? in what respect, aren't they using different WAN connections?

What is the new ingredient in your setup? It sounds that it's the Huawei router.
Hi,

The current (and regular) setup is the rt2660 used to managed the local home Lan.
The output to the internet being managed by an adsl modem box.

What I want is to add the 4G box as a backup internet access solution.

So, my config is the second option you mentioned, with huawei being also a modem/router device (don't think there is a bridge mode available on the huawei).

My adsl box is also a router/modem box and it is working well...

Upvote 0
I'm desperately trying this simple usage
This should work, just make sure that the IP address (in this case 192.168.3.2) is the IP address configured on the Huawei router in the DMZ section.

That will allow you to pass all traffic to your local lan and terminate all firewall and port forward needs on your syno router.

But to make this work, DO NOT overlap your Syno LAN with Huawei LAN! If Huawei is by default running on subnet 3 (as in this example), then do not use that same subnet for your LAN.

So make sure to use the 3.2 IP address a DMZ address on the Huawei and bind it as your Syno interface IP address.

Your LAN subnet can be 192.168.4.x or 2.x or 10.20.30.x etc, just don't push it into Huawei LAN.

I have had this setup for the past 2 years (until a few days ago), and it worked well.

Upvote 0
Have you tried using SRM's network utility to test if it can access the Internet when the 4G is the primary WAN device?

Are there any remnant settings from the ADSL setup on the RT2600ac?

with huawei being also a modem/router device
Which one? modem or router?

Can you find out how to configure this 4G router in modem/bridge mode (ie. it acts like a modem and the RT2600ac get assigned the ISP WAN IP address, not the the 4G device)?

If you can't do that then you'll have to configure it as a router and, if you want to have inbound connections towards the RT2600ac, assign the RT2600ac as the DMZ device (assuming it has a DMS feature) where any and all inbound connections get routed and NAT'ed to the RT2600ac.

With only the RT2600ac as a LAN client to the 4G device (as router) then you don't have to use DHCP. I would statically configure this.

Upvote 0
Can you find out how to configure this 4G router in modem/bridge mode (ie. it acts like a modem and the RT2600ac get assigned the ISP WAN IP address, not the the 4G device)?
Won't work 99%. I have had a Huawei model and only very old models had the option to put it in the bridge, apart from that, it's router mode all the way. Very common for a 4G router device.

Upvote 0
Won't work 99%. I have had a Huawei model and only very old models had the option to put it in the bridge, apart from that, it's router mode all the way. Very common for a 4G router device.
OK. Didn't see your reply before posting: maybe many consumer-level mobile data service plans are serving WAN IP from RFC 1918 addresses that in makes little sense to include device features that will be of little use.

Other, than the RT2600ac's interface not having any ADSL config leftovers and there being no subnet overlapping then it should work quite easily.

Upvote 0
Hi, many thanks for your replies.

The Huawei can only be in router mode (no bridge mode).
My local lan is using 192.168.1.xxx so should be ok, no overlap.
I will try tomorrow to activate a dmz with the ip of my rt2600 (which is 192.168.3.2) on the huawei and let you know (yah, i'm based in France, so it is almost 10pm here).

Rgds,
clenfant

Upvote 0
Hi,

So, did test with the DMZ, and... failure :(
Bored, so I did some screen capture in case I missed something :

On the RT2600ac
Config of the Internet connectivity, with my dsl ISP on Primary and the Huawei 4G on Secondary
RT2600ac - Internet Config.png

Config of the Local Network
RT2600ac - Local network config.png

On the Huwaei 4G :
Config of IP
Huawei 4G - IP config.png

Config of DMZ
Huawei 4G - DMZ config.png

Any idea ?

Upvote 0
Yes, I tried. Same results.
I also tried with the 4G only on primary, with no secondary, same.

What i really don't understand is that when I connect my pc directly to the 4g (ethernet or wifi), it's working.
And from the local network, I can reach the web interface of the 4G, so the connection between the 4G and the rt2600 is working.

It's a total mystery for me...

Upvote 0
And from the local network, I can reach the web interface of the 4G
That's odd a bit. If those 2 routers are in 2 separate subnets how are you able to access one from the other? Do you have any custom routes configured?

Also have you tried to change the Default Gatway setting from your main interface to your secondary (4G)? Do you have access to the internet then?

Upvote 0
That's odd a bit. If those 2 routers are in 2 separate subnets how are you able to access one from the other? Do you have any custom routes configured?

Also have you tried to change the Default Gatway setting from your main interface to your secondary (4G)? Do you have access to the internet then?
Hi Rusty,

When connected my PC to my local network (192.168.1.xxx), if I specify 192.168.3.1, I can get the web interface.
This is the same with the web interface of the primary internet, using 192.168.0.1.

Upvote 0
The first LMT screenshot is of the WLAN setup, i.e. the WiFi setup. But the RT2600ac is connecting on the wires LAN. Have you tried configuring the Ethernet section?
Hi Fredbert,

The Huawzi 4G config interface is quit strange. His based IP is managed usiong the DHCP config page.
The Ethernet config area has to be used if the Huawei is connected to the internet through Ethernet, and not the 4G sim card (at least this is my understanding).
Huawei - Ethernet config.PNG

Huawei - Ethernet config2.PNG

Upvote 0
The Huawzi 4G config interface is quit strange. His based IP is managed usiong the DHCP config page.
You're right; That's strange.

You've said this happens:
  • When using just the 4G router: clients can access the Internet.
  • When the clients are behind the RT2600ac and that's connect to the 4G router: clients can't access the Internet but can access the 4G router.
Sounds to be a NAT or routing issue. Either the RT2600ac doesn't use the 4G router as its default route or the client traffic isn't being NAT'ed.

Did you go onto the RT2600ac and use Network Tools to test if it can access the Internet through the 4G router while the clients cannot?
1623745146657.png

Upvote 0
I,

I did the test, but.. note sure about the results.

What I did :
Conf1.PNG

Hop it is what you had in mind.

So, with this, the Ping from the network tools of the RT2600 indicat answers, but it seems the trafic is still going through the primary gateway (I see this because I still have the long latency > 600ms on my primary ISP (satellite)).

Ping Test.PNG

Beside, the speedtest is unable to workwith this config.

So, again lost :(

Upvote 0
Hmm. I’m not sure as I don’t run two WAN interfaces. But each interface’s configuration should be pertinent to its subnet and next hop gateway. So the primary interface should have …0.1 as its gateway not …3.1.

For outbound connections you’d have to unplug the primary to force the secondary to be used. Or edit the routing table to change the default route.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.