Currently reading
Help setting up DS1522+ direct

NAS
DS1522+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I’m new to NAS configurations and have a need to set up 4-5 MacBook Pros to a shared drive to support a week long event where we will be shooting and editing video for immediate disto.

We will be working from a hotel conference room so there isn’t an established network and will use a MiFi for internet connection. I’m trying to keep this light and agile.

My idea is to connect 3-4 computers to the NAS (DS1522+) via the Ethernet ports then connect our editors computer to the 10GbE expansion port. So this is sort of a closed circuit network.

The goal is to allow our producers and camera team to transfer footage and organize the content while our editor creates short videos for YouTube and social media.

In the past we’ve had about 6-8 SSD drives that we pass around and it’s a mess, so the idea here is to allow everyone on the team access and increase efficiency.

Has anyone configured the Ethernet ports and 10GbE without a network, server or switch?

Can this be done?

Thanks for the response. I think my use case might not be ideal. We travel to different events and shoot video so I wanted to use this set up as our team drive to add footage and edit from during the event. However, the SSD drives are cost prohibitive and to small. I’m afraid the HDD drive may be too fragile to move around and carry onto planes in a pelican case. Ideally I need about 20TB of space.

Do you think the HDD drives are too delicate to travel with even if they are secured by foam in a hard case and carried on?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.