Help understanding DNS Server & NAT Loopback

Currently reading
Help understanding DNS Server & NAT Loopback

I use VPN Plus on SRM and have set the same local DNS servers as I use for home LAN/WLAN devices via DHCP. Don't have any issues creating a VPN tunnel and doing a lazy SSH server of 'imac', since I have DHCP domain name set to my DNS's master zone domain.

Just tested to confirm this using Prompt 2 (SSH app from Panic) on my iPhone over an OpenVPN tunnel when on mobile data.

I use VPN Plus on SRM and have set the same local DNS servers as I use for home LAN/WLAN devices via DHCP. Don't have any issues creating a VPN tunnel and doing a lazy SSH server of 'imac', since I have DHCP domain name set to my DNS's master zone domain.

Just tested to confirm this using Prompt 2 (SSH app from Panic) on my iPhone over an OpenVPN tunnel when on mobile data.
Great, thanks for confirming that! (y)

I read somewhere about NAT Loopback and if used with your own domain name and it will connect through the local network instead of connecting to it through the internet back home to the NAS. Is that correct?

If so, if I wanted to setup DNS Server on my RT2600ac instead of the DiskStation presumably I'd set the Primary DNS to the IP address on the RT2600ac (192.168.0.1) and that would automatically go through DNS Server on the router?
Hi Jono,

sorry to jump into your thread but I am trying to do a similar thing to what you are doing but without success.

I have an RT2600AC as primary router and I would like to set it up such that when whatever device on my network try to reach example.net it is redirected to a local IP (ex. 192.168.3.100), while all the rest remains unchanged (i.e. all other requests goes to a public DNS server, for example 1.1.1.1).

Reason is use Bumper which requires to re-route "call home" request from Ecovacs Deebot to internal IP address (link)

Do you have any suggestion how to achieve this?

Hi Jono,

sorry to jump into your thread but I am trying to do a similar thing to what you are doing but without success.

I have an RT2600AC as primary router and I would like to set it up such that when whatever device on my network try to reach example.net it is redirected to a local IP (ex. 192.168.3.100), while all the rest remains unchanged (i.e. all other requests goes to a public DNS server, for example 1.1.1.1).

Reason is use Bumper which requires to re-route "call home" request from Ecovacs Deebot to internal IP address (link)

Do you have any suggestion how to achieve this?
I ended up setting this up for lots of domains/subdomains for different services by adding the master zones in DNS server (look through page 1 off this thread), and using the reverse proxy in my DiskStation to determine which domain/subdomain routes to which device and port.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.