DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello all,

I am new to this all and have learn't so much from you guys in the last few weeks and really appreciate all the help. I have my NAS running and configured and all seems to be going well as a file server and have just set it up with web station and it's great.

I noticed that the NAS can also run as a mail server and as i already have the MX records pointing to my address as i have a linux box which will be made redundant soon... Can I therefore setup a mail server to sort my own mail...
I have around 6 email addresses in my small business and would appreciate any help in doing this.

IS there any detailed tutorials on how to set it up ?

Regards Alex

Can I therefore setup a mail server to sort my own mail
Yes you can.

I have around 6 email addresses in my small business
Using the Mail Server Plus package you will get up to 5 email addresses. More than that you will have to get separate licenses.

You can use the "older" Mail server package as well.

IS there any detailed tutorials on how to set it up ?
There are multiple topics on the mail server, just use the search on the forum, and also some topics and resources can be found here

Yes you can.

Using the Mail Server Plus package you will get up to 5 email addresses. More than that you will have to get separate licenses.

You can use the "older" Mail server package as well.

There are multiple topics on the mail server, just use the search on the forum, and also some topics and resources can be found here
Thanks Rusty...
Happy to cull an email address and make it 5 then (for now).
I'll do some hunting and thanks for the link.

Reading the notes and was wondering when i setup Mailplus server there are three account types with no explation of each one.... local, LDAP and Domain Users.
I want to use my domain name and have users checking mail locally as well as using there phone from the internet...
Which account type do i use for that ?
Alex

Reading the notes and was wondering when i setup Mailplus server there are three account types with no explation of each one.... local, LDAP and Domain Users.
I want to use my domain name and have users checking mail locally as well as using there phone from the internet...
Which account type do i use for that ?
Alex
Depends how your users will be able to authenticate over the internet in that case. If they will be in a constant VPN tunnel with your NAS you can use local accounts. But if not, then LDAP would be an option.

Thanks Rusty, you have been great help and your knowledge is invaluable.

Forgive my ignorance but what is LDAP ?

I want to be able to connect internally with local computers and externally with mobile phones.

I have looked at some youtube setup video and they go on for over an hour from DNS right through and most isn't relevant to my setup.

I already have my MX record pointing to my static IP address so i really need an easier step by step for setting up Mailplus server and Mailplus or i can just start and see where i go :)

Thanks Rusty, you have been great help and your knowledge is invaluable.

Forgive my ignorance but what is LDAP ?

I want to be able to connect internally with local computers and externally with mobile phones.

I have looked at some youtube setup video and they go on for over an hour from DNS right through and most isn't relevant to my setup.

I already have my MX record pointing to my static IP address so i really need an easier step by step for setting up Mailplus server and Mailplus or i can just start and see where i go :)
Would advise to read up a bit on this 1st. Setting up an email on your nas is not complicated but it does require a number of steps to make it work correctly both inside and outside. Be sure to read up on the complete setup using Synology KB as well as any article here on the forum (in resources as well).

Last edited:
Would advise to read up a bit on this 1st. Setting up an email on your nas is not complicated but it does require a number of steps to make it work correctly both inside and outside. Be sure to read up on the complete setup using Synology KB as well as any article here on the forum (in resources as well).
Thanks Rusty.
I already have the MX records pointing to my static ip address as well as port forwarding in my modem for most ports though they are currently pointing to a linux mail server.
I can change the forwarding to the IP address for my NAS mail ports and then do all the internal changes... There the ones I'm worried about because if I close my current mail server and have problems with Mailplus then i will need to get it running quickly as i have a business.
I've been through the manuals and got a good idea what to do though it's taking that next "leap of faith" as i need to do it outside of office hours and have it ready for the next day.
I want to know all the settings before i start so i don't have to backtrack and am hoping most will load in automatically :)
Thanks for your help.
Last question... Does Mailplus work ok with Microsoft Outlook ? or do i need to change something ?

You can setup Mail/MailPlus Server fully before switching the port forwarding across to the NAS. Once you're satisfied that local access is working (you won't get SMTP from the Internet) then you can think about bring it online.

You asked about LDAP user accounts...

Mail Server: when using this package each user's mailbox files and settings are in their home account /home/.Maildir and File Station doesn't hide the dotted named folder... too tempting for a cleaner-holic to delete it. This s the same for both DSM local accounts or LDAP accounts. But I use both, each user has: a DSM local for normal user stuff; a 2nd, restricted access, LDAP account for Mail Server.

MailPlus Server: user mailbox files and settings are not held in the user home, regardless of using DSM local or LDAP accounts. But if you later want to add a second NAS with MailPlus Server to make it resilient/high available then this feature does require you to use LDAP accounts... I guess to synchronise the user database between the two NAS.

You can setup Mail/MailPlus Server fully before switching the port forwarding across to the NAS. Once you're satisfied that local access is working (you won't get SMTP from the Internet) then you can think about bring it online.

You asked about LDAP user accounts...

Mail Server: when using this package each user's mailbox files and settings are in their home account /home/.Maildir and File Station doesn't hide the dotted named folder... too tempting for a cleaner-holic to delete it. This s the same for both DSM local accounts or LDAP accounts. But I use both, each user has: a DSM local for normal user stuff; a 2nd, restricted access, LDAP account for Mail Server.

MailPlus Server: user mailbox files and settings are not held in the user home, regardless of using DSM local or LDAP accounts. But if you later want to add a second NAS with MailPlus Server to make it resilient/high available then this feature does require you to use LDAP accounts... I guess to synchronise the user database between the two NAS.
Thank you Fredbert,
"You're the Man" if only you were local then I'd pay you to set it all up for me :)
I will set it up and leave the port forwarding as it is for now and hopefully when all is good just redirect it.
Appreciate you taking your time to respond as you really sound like you know your stuff.
Regards Alex

if only you were local
UK... so almost the opposite of :)

One other thing: I know Mail Server doesn't have this in the GUI but I'm told MailPlus Server does...

Catch-all account settings that define a mail account that willl be used to receive any messages that are sent to an address for with there isn't a specific account.

To do this in Mail Server requires manually editing the package's configuration files via the SSH command line. And even then this gets overwritten when the package is updated. I wrote up how I did it here...

So if you can live with the 5 free MailPlus accounts then I'd use it. Also, you can install and test it and if it's too restricted then uninstall and use Mail Server.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.