Help with upgrade method from 2-bay to 5-bay

Currently reading
Help with upgrade method from 2-bay to 5-bay

NAS
DS918+,DS716+ii
I'm currently running a DS716+ii but with a slightly unconventional HDD setup. I've got an 8TB drive that has all my data (photos, music, video and cloudstation) and a 3TB drive, which was the original HDD from my first DS213J, which currently has everything else - homes, netbackup, plex etc. When I upgraded from the 213j to the 716+, I figured it would be easier to separate the data from the system files but I think I've made it more complicated now I want to upgrade again.

My 8TB drive running low on space and is also showing some bad sectors, which have been going up in number for a few weeks (currently at 12). I was going to replace the drive with a 10TB drive but now have a plan to upgrade the NAS as well to a DS1019+. I'm not sure what the best way to migrate everything across is though.

My current thinking is to move everything from the 3TB drive over to the 8TB, and then setup the new NAS with the 10TB using Synology's Migration Assistant. So the 8TB won't ever touch the DS1019+. Does that seem like a sound method?

By Christmas, I plan on adding 3 more 10TB drives, one for more space and 2 for RAID (another thing I need to look into properly).

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Well, the idea here is what your end setup (atm) will be on 1019 and what type of raid you will be running. From what I can read you have 2 separate volumes in your 716 and that's making things a bit complicated here.

My advice would be for sure to setup 1019 with a fresh drive(s) and then just migrate or backup/restore data from the 716. Keep in mind that Migration Assistant will restore data as is so you could again end up with the same configuration and same problem as you have now. If you configure your new NAS fresh, setup your array and then restore the data (or a simple copy) onto your new 1019 you could save yourself a lot of headaches

Thanks for the quick reply and advice. I have a couple of quick follow-up (possibly noob) questions.
- What do you mean by the 'array'? Is that the volume setup?
- What's the best way to restore the data over? I assume that Hyperback would need an equal size volume to back up on to, so should/could I just map shares from both NASes on a PC and copy the data that way?

What do you mean by the 'array'? Is that the volume setup?
Yes RAID array (regarding volume)

What's the best way to restore the data over? I assume that Hyperback would need an equal size volume to back up on to, so should/could I just map shares from both NASes on a PC and copy the data that way?
HB would be my choice (single file rsync method). Try and not include a 3rd party device (PC) into the mix for 2 reasons. 1st adds complexity and tbh it's not needed and 2nd you will be to run this task in the background via HB. If you wanna map and then use copy paste simple method you can use it and run it in that scenario via File Station (Remote connection)

Yes RAID array (regarding volume)
Got it, thanks. I won't be setting up RAID for a couple of months. Right now my priority is setting up the new NAS + HDD. When I get there, I'm thinking RAID 5 and keeping the fifth bay as a hotspare.

HB would be my choice (single file rsync method).
Great, thanks. So just use the single version option within Hyper Backup and select the DS1019+ as the destination? Will that just copy files+folders, or will it take the shares as well? If not then I guess I have to do it one share at a time?

Will that just copy files+folders, or will it take the shares as well? If not then I guess I have to do it one share at a time?
You can select all your source files of the bat and just put them in a single share folder on the 1019. After the copy just recreate the folder structure on 1019 (shared folders) and then move the data from a single shared folder to their respected share folders.

Got it, thanks. I won't be setting up RAID for a couple of months. Right now my priority is setting up the new NAS + HDD. When I get there, I'm thinking RAID 5 and keeping the fifth bay as a hotspare.
Careful with this. You might end up with a situation that you will not be able to covert your storage pool (and then volume) to raid 5 depending on how you start. If R5 is your end goal and you will start with just a single 10TB drive, be sure to configure that drive=volume as Basic. The reason is that you have to follow a specific rule about raid upgrade. Have a read here for more info: DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

Thanks very much for the migration help, really appreciate it.

Re. the RAID config, I just kind picked RAID 5 as the (seemingly) best option because, from what I've read, it doesn't impact read/write speeds. Would you recommend 5 over 1, or maybe SHR? I just want a decent failsafe for files should a drive fail. Really important stuff like photos is backed up on a USB drive as well.

Rell, raid is just to keep you going... What raid type you will choose is up to you, your needs and storage space needed in the end.

SHR or SHR2 is just a Syno type of raid that will allow you mixing of drives with different space. On the other hand, if your plans are to use same size drives in your 1019 there is no reason not to use a conventional raid type (5,6 etc).

SHR = RAID5
SHR2 = RAID6

Keep in mind that with 5 drives in (as a part of a single volume) it would be best to go with 2 drive redundancy (raid6), but as I said before that's all up to you. Considering that you are not making a mistake as most do (raid =backup) and have a separate backup for your NAS data, I think you will be fine with whatever choice you make.

Thanks for all the advice, it's really great. I've never really be able to thrash this out with anyone before w.r.t my specific setup, so it's nice to get notes from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Considering that you are not making a mistake as most do (raid =backup)
Is raid even required then for home use do you think? Would I be better getting a 4 bay and just backing up 2 drives on the other 2? (I know that's kinda subjective).

Keep in mind that with 5 drives in (as a part of a single volume)
Question about volumes - is there a best practice you ascribe to with volumes? Should I split volumes for different shares or different priority files, or is it OK to just keep everything on one volume. From your previous reply, I'm assuming that RAID 6 only functions on a single volume.

(Edit: OK I lied about one question)

Is raid even required then for home use do you think? Would I be better getting a 4 bay and just backing up 2 drives on the other 2? (I know that's kinda subjective).
As you said it’s subjective but keeping data and backup drives in a single box is not really a backup is it?

Question about volumes - is there a best practice you ascribe to with volumes? Should I split volumes for different shares or different priority files, or is it OK to just keep everything on one volume. From your previous reply, I'm assuming that RAID 6 only functions on a single volume.
Keeping all files on a single volume is fine unless you have multiple volume needs. But that being said you would need a lot more drives to have any reason to do it in the 1st place. Regarding raid6 and volume, bottom line is all raid arrays, with small number of drives, end up as single volumes.

keeping data and backup drives in a single box is not really a backup is it?
Lol mic drop! Very good point, cheers, bub.

Guess I need to work out if the extra cost outlay is worth it for RAID 6, as it looks like the usable storage is the same for 4 drives @ RAID5 vs 5 drives @ RAID 6. Now I'm pondering a setup of 4 @ RAID 5 in a DS918+, then getting another two HDDs as backups within the DS716+ for really important files.

Thanks again for your help today, really appreciate it and it's given me a lot to think about it.

Lol mic drop! Very good point, cheers, bub.

Guess I need to work out if the extra cost outlay is worth it for RAID 6, as it looks like the usable storage is the same for 4 drives @ RAID5 vs 5 drives @ RAID 6. Now I'm pondering a setup of 4 @ RAID 5 in a DS918+, then getting another two HDDs as backups within the DS716+ for really important files.

Thanks again for your help today, really appreciate it and it's given me a lot to think about it.
if you are going with 918 then go with R5 in it. Been running all my 4bay like that with no problem as long as there is a valid backup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.