User introduction Hi All

Currently reading
User introduction Hi All

Hello all.

I've been using a NAS along time as a media share and backup for music files and photos.

All was working fine.

Until I decided to update my aging 410 with a new and apparently fully compatible dsm.

Thought I should do it as the old thing had Been working well without a grumble. Gave it a clean and decided to upgrade.

Dsm stalled during update(wouldn't complete:forgotten the exact error) and now im unable to get in. Can see it on network but shares aren't working won't respond via Web browser. I have to do the double button reset to see it and re-attempt the upgrade.

Before I get into the dsm update particulars and troubleshooting questions.

I wondered first if its worth the effort. Will taking out the drives and plonking them in new bay be a the best path?

Can I change the operating system to a non synology one to get it working?

or manually roll back to the last known working configuration?

Thoughts anyone?

Hi, and welcome.
It is great that the DS410, that was introduced in 2010, is still operational, it shows how good these systems are.
You should be able to re-install the current DSM, sometimes a step wise approach is needed to upgrade to the latest firmware. You have to read through the versions to check that.
Unfortunately my advice is to upgrade to new hardware after all. The system is not anymore up to the requirements of today, which mainly shows in the fact that the support has ended (EOL) lack of software upgrades (possible security risks) and probably speed.
The synology support site will tell you what the latest DSM is that is supported (5.2). You might expect hardware failure after all, like fan, power or MB one of these years to come.

Disk transfer to a new system will give some limitations on eg BTRFS. So carefully plan your upgrade.

Thanks for the info. I've been so out of the loop btrfs looks interesting and sent me down a rabbit hole.

A new unit is probably the way to go. I originaly upgraded the dsm as I wanted my NAS to be more secure.

As its no longer going to get updates I'm guessing it will never be secure and its a shame to "bin" a unit that works.

Surprising there is no alternative operating system or any custom firmwares about.

Doubt the specs on the ds410 could handle much anyway. A Raspberry PI seems more capable.

If you can get the 410 running again, it could be repurposed for backing up your new NAS...although as EAZ pointed out, 10 years is a lot of mileage for both the NAS and Hard drives.

Last edited:
Ah thanks for the reply. It's a four bay and I only put two drives in. One is pretty "newish" replacement after a failure, lucky i had them in raid.

The other is as old as time.

Size difference between an M.2 and the old IDE drives is considerable.

I could put the newer one in a fantastically large caddy as it the old style IDE drive. Ha!

Wouldn't mind getting the ds410 running again. Not to use but have a peace of mind of restoring it. May donate it.

I will most likey get another NAS/purpose built pc. which would be more secure than the 410.

I liked the WOL feature on these types of machines, which is a faff with custom built.

Get it - there are definitely alternatives. At my age and point in my IT career I prefer the prepackaged solution that doesn't require as much time and effort to get up and running. Despite challenges with Syno trend of locking NAS boxes down I'm happy with the product.

Get it - there are definitely alternatives. At my age and point in my IT career I prefer the prepackaged solution that doesn't require as much time and effort to get up and running. Despite challenges with Syno trend of locking NAS boxes down I'm happy with the product.
I have to agree with you on this one. Time is just too valuable for me to spend on tinkering. A turn key solution works best for me even with a higher price point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back